Subject: Protocol Action: Graceful Restart Mechanism for LDP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:28:04 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Graceful Restart Mechanism for
LDP' <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-restart-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This
document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working 
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Bert Wijnen.

Technical Summary

This document describes a mechanism that helps minimize the negative
effects on MPLS traffic caused by Label Switching Router's (LSR's) 
control plane restart, and specifically by the restart of its Label 
Distribution Protocol (LDP) component, on LSRs that are capable of 
preserving the MPLS forwarding component across the restart. 

The mechanism described in this document is applicable to all LSRs, 
both those with the ability to preserve forwarding state during LDP 
restart and those without (although the latter need to implement only a 
subset of the mechanism described in this document). Supporting (a subset 
of) the mechanism described here by the LSRs that can not preserve their 
MPLS forwarding state across the restart would not reduce the negative 
impact on MPLS traffic caused by their control plane restart, but it 
would minimize the impact if their neighbor(s) are capable of preserving 
the forwarding state across the restart of their control plane and 
implement the mechanism described here.

Working Group Summary

The mpls working group supported publication of this document.

Protocol Quality

This document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.