Subject: Protocol Action: LSP Hierarchy with Generalized MPLS TE to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:28:59 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft LSP Hierarchy with Generalized 
MPLS TE <draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-hierarchy-08.txt> as a Proposed 
Standard.  This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label 
Switching Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and 
Scott Bradner.
 
Technical Summary

This document describes the mechanisms to aggregate Label Switched Paths
(LSPs) by creating a hierarchy of such LSPs. These mechanisms can be 
used to improve scalability of Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching
(GMPLS). Such a hierarchy can be created by (a) a Label Switching Router
(LSR) creating a Traffic Engineering Label Switched Path (TE LSP), (b) 
the LSR forming a forwarding adjacency (FA) out of that LSP (by 
advertising this LSP as a Traffic Engineering (TE) link into the same 
instance of ISIS/OSPF as the one that was used to create the LSP), (c) 
allowing other LSRs to use FAs for their path computation, and (d) 
nesting of LSPs originated by other LSRs into that LSP (by using the 
label stack construct).

Working Group Summary

The MPLS working group supported publication of this document.

Protocol Quality

This document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.