Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-e2e-vompls-hdr-compress-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 06:50:35 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: End-to-End VoIP over MPLS Header Compression
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, B. Goode
	Filename	: draft-ash-e2e-vompls-hdr-compress-01.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2003-3-6
	
VoIP over MPLS typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS.  
For an MPLS VPN, the packet header is at least 48 bytes, while the voice 
payload is typically no more than 30 bytes.  VoIP over MPLS header 
compression can significantly reduce the VoIP overhead through various 
compression mechanisms.  This is important on access links where 
bandwidth is scarce, and can be important on backbone facilities, 
especially where costs are high (e.g., some global cross-sections).  In 
this draft we propose to use RSVP extensions to signal the header 
compression context and other control messages between the ingress and 
egress LSR.  We provide two approaches to determining the header 
compression context: a) re-use the methods in cRTP to determine the 
context, and b) re-use the methods in Swallow's and Berger's 'simple' 
approach to determine the context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-e2e-vompls-hdr-compress-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ash-e2e-vompls-hdr-compress-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ash-e2e-vompls-hdr-compress-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.