Subject: RE: [PWE3] MPLS PID

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:53:48 -0800

Alia,

>There is equipment that does look at the IP header CRC as well as the 
>version field and various others for sanity-checking...  but I 
>really think 
>that any equipment which is sophisticated enough to compute 
>and verify the 
>IP header checksum will also check the version field.

Agree, but what if the decision on whether the encapsulated
protocol is IP or not is done by CRC check and then the ver # is used
to indicate either IPv4 or IPv6?

>
>>Egress always knows what protocol is encapsulated after the 
>bottom label.
>
>Not necessarily whether it is IPv4 or IPv6 except by checking 
>the IP header.

I meant in knows whether it is IP or not. If IP then the Ver could be checked
otherwise ver field has no meaning.

-Shahram

>Alia