Subject: Re: Question for the RFC2961--Refresh reduction--trigger msg

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:21:06 -0500

Please help me  with the three questions:

.>>If the message ID is greater, or the epoch is different, then the
message MIGHT be a trigger.  You still have to look up the LSP and
compare its state against the rest of the message in order to see if
anything significant has changed.

[1] If the message ID is greater, or the epoch is different,  and the LSP
and
 the rest of the message are  the same, Do   you still  consider this msg
a trigger msg?

Spec 1.1
<!--StartFragment-->Trigger messages are those RSVP messages that
   advertise state or any other information not previously transmitted.
   Trigger messages include messages advertising new state, a route
   change that alters a reservation path, or a modification to an
   existing RSVP session or reservation.<!--EndFragment-->

So if the LSPID is   different, and message ID is greater, or the epoch is
different, the msg is definitely trigger msg.

Spec  4.5
<!--StartFragment-->If the received Epoch values differs from the value
   previously received from the message sender, the message is a trigger
   message and the receiver MUST fully process the message.  <!
--EndFragment-->

[2]So if the LSPID is   different, and message ID is greater, or the epoch
is different in a Path msg, the msg is definitely trigger msg.
Here the 'Fully process the msg', means a Resv  msg   should be   sent
out,right?

If the message ID is greater, or the epoch is different,  and the LSP and
 the rest of the message are  the same, Do   you still  consider this msg
a trigger msg?

If the answer for the question above is YES, then
Here the 'Fully process the msg', it does not means that a Resv  msg
should be   sent  out.

[3]  If msg has the same epoch and different message id.  whether it should
be considered as trigger msg?

Thanks in  an advance.
Julia

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:32:53 -0500

Hong Liao wrote:
> and the rest of the message are  the same, Do you still consider this msg
> a trigger msg?

>    existing RSVP session or reservation.<!--EndFragment-->

If the message is identical, then it is not advertising any new state. 
It's a simple refresh.

> different, the msg is definitely trigger msg.

The LSPID can never change for a given LSP.  The LSPID is part of what 
defines the LSP.

If you get a Path message, and then you get another Path which is 
completely identical, except for the LSPID, then it is a request for a 
new LSP and has absolutely nothing to do with the first LSP.

If I create LSP A, and then create LSP B, the creation of B is _NOT_ a 
modification of A.

I think you need to review what the LSPID field actually means.  You 
seem to think it's a modifiable attribute of an LSP.  It is not.

-- David