Subject: RE: [PWE3] MPLS PID

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:17:59 -0500

> >>The best way to solve this problem is to do ECMP only based on label
> >>stack. Doing so should be
> >>easier than introducing new standard.
> >
> >         Sharam, it sounds like you are introducing a new standard
> >by insisting that ECMP only be based on the label stack.
> >
> >         --Tom
> >
>
>Tom, no I am not standardizing anything. I said, if you are not sure
>the payload is IP, you could always use the label stack for ECMP?
>After all isn't this what you do in case the payload is not IP?
>
>In other words there is a way around the problem that you are trying to solve.
>Whether you use it or not is up to you.

         No, the point is that there are lots of ways around the ECMP
problem, as is evident from the fact that most vendors do ECMP
differently from everyone else.  What seems clear to me is that
through the use of a PID in the PWE header we can clearly
identify what is in the packet regardless of these mechanisms.

         --Tom

>-Shahram

http://www.elsevier-international.com/catalogue/title.cfm?ISBN=155860751X