Subject: HA-LDP:Graceful Restart

From: Paresh Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:30:34 +0530

Hi All,

We have implemented Graceful Restart mechanism for LDP as per RFC 3478
(section 3.1). Has anybody implemented the same using alternative
procedures (section 3.2)? Are there any implementation issues with this
method.

Is there any implementation survey underway for the LDP graceful
restart?

Regards,
Paresh Patil
MBT (COE-Embedded)

*********************************************************
Disclaimer

This message (including any attachments) contains 
confidential information intended for a specific 
individual and purpose, and is protected by law. 
If you are not the intended recipient, you should 
delete this message and are hereby notified that 
any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this
message, or the taking of any action based on it, 
is strictly prohibited.

*********************************************************
Visit us at http://www.mahindrabt.com

---

From: Rahul Aggarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:59:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paresh,

Please see response inline:

> procedures (section 3.2)? Are there any implementation issues with this

The implementation that I am best versed with uses section 3.1. 

The only issue with section 3.2 can be that the upstream nbrs of or the
restarting router will have to update the out label in their forwarding
plane. This can cause a disruption in forwarding. Depending on the
forwarding architecture this disruption can be just a few packets or more.
Other than this section 3.2 works just fine and can even be simpler to
implement than section 3.1. Ofcourse it requires as many unallocated
labels as allocated labels. This may be considered as an overkill in some
cases. 

> Is there any implementation survey underway for the LDP graceful

No. 

rahul