Subject: Re: Draft MPLS minutes

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:55:14 -0500

Your  citation from  RFC 3160  does not  seem to  imply anywhere  that every
change to a WG draft must  be approved by consensus.  In fact, your citation
doesn't  even mention  consensus.  Not to  mention  that RFC  3160 does  not
specify the standards process anyway.

---

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:44:34 -0800

>
>Shahram> please note that  any change to any WG draft MUST  be 
>done based on
>Shahram> WG consensus. 
>
>I don't believe there is any such rule, actually.  Do you have 
>a citation? 

RFC 3160:

"The basic steps for getting
   something published as an IETF standard are:

      1. Publish the document as an Internet Draft
      2. Receive comments on the draft
      3. Edit your draft based on the comments
      4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 a few times
      5. Ask an Area Director to take the draft to the IESG (if it's an
         individual submission).  If the draft is an official Working
         Group product, the WG chair asks the AD to take it to the IESG.
      6. Make any changes deemed necessary by the IESG (this might
         include giving up on becoming a standard)
      7. Wait for the document to be published by the RFC Editor"

"  The biggest reason some people do not want their documents put on the
   IETF standards track is that they must give up change control of the
   protocol.  That is, as soon as you propose that your protocol become
   an IETF standard, you must fully relinquish control of the protocol.
   If there is general agreement, parts of the protocol can be
   completely changed, whole sections can be ripped out, new things can
   be added, and the name can be changed."

-Shahram