Subject: Re: Checking MPLS WG Consensus (oam req's)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:22:16 +0200

in favor of moving forward. 

brief comment, this i-d mentions:

in the abstract:
"This draft specifies OAM requirements for MPLS, as well as for 
applications of MPLS such as pseudowire voice and VPN services. 
Those interested in specific issues relating to instrumenting 
MPLS for OAM purposes are directed to [FRAMEWORK]"

in the introduction:
"This draft specifies OAM requirements for MPLS, as well as for 
applications of MPLS such as pseudowire [PWE3FRAME] voice, and 
VPN services."

in the motivations section:
"however, the handling of defects and specification of which 
types of defects are interesting to operational networks may 
not have been created in concert with those for other 
applications of MPLS such as L3 VPN."

... imho if there is a need to move forward with "oam techniques" 
then they should be defined as "generically" as possible (i agree
that this may not always feasible); 

this due to the potential issue to see oam specifics for pseudo-
wires and oam specifics for vpn's - another reason is that the
requirement 3.7 as mentioned "These actions may be user or 
operator-specified, or may simply be inherent to the underlying 
transport technology (i.e.: MPLS Fast-Reroute, graceful restart 
or high-availability functionality)." can have a broader scope

so i would propose to make the scope of this i-d generic enough
(**doesn't mean i wanna have an overkill**) and in the future if 
there is a specific need in having detailed oam techniques usage 
for vpn's and/or pseudo then let's go for it (ps: this doesn't 
preclude that in the meanwhile these applications might be used 
as example in the current version of the document)

thanks,
- dimitri.

Jean Philippe Vasseur wrote:
> 
> in favor
> 
> JP.
> 
> At 14:09 31/03/2003 -0500, George Swallow wrote:
> >In San Francisco the workgroup showed support for making
> >
> >   OAM Requirements for MPLS Networks
> >     draft-nadeau-ietf-oam-requirements-01.txt
> >
> >an MPLS WG Document.  This message is to solicit any further comments
> >prior to making a final determination.
> >
> >Please reply by 4/7 24:00 GMT.
> >
> >...George
> >
> >======================================================================
> >George Swallow          Cisco Systems                   (978) 936-1398
> >                         250 Apollo Drive
> >                         Chelmsford, Ma 01824

-- 
Papadimitriou Dimitri 
E-mail : [email-masked] 
Private: http://www.rc.bel.alcatel.be/~papadimd/index.html
E-mail : [email-masked]
Public : http://psg.com/~dpapadimitriou/
Address: Fr. Wellesplein 1, B-2018 Antwerpen, Belgium
Phone  : +32 3 240-8491