Subject: Two Opaque Timers in Ospf...

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:23:38 +0200

Hi all,
i'd like to do some considerations about the use of Timer  
in RFC2370 Opaque LSA;

i understood this use of Timer for opaque LSA:
suppose we refer to a simple starting situation in which for a long time there is
no opaque LSA propagation; in a certain time t0, one router (R1) in the net 
receives a bandwidth update and so an opaque LSA flooding starts;
if new updates arrive to R1 about bandwidth, color, ecc, these updates 
are stored and NOT flooded through the net until (t0 + MinLSInterval sec) when 
one opaque LSA is flooded with the latest updates.

If it's right, thinking to a MPLS scenario in which bandwidth 
updates come from RSVP and other fields updates in Opaque LSA 
come from a different module in each router (in example an administative
module), could it be more 
reasonable the use of two timer: for example one timer 
considering all the opaque fields updates excepts administrative group
field updates and one considering only the administrative field updates?

I see the reason for this complication in the logical
independence between each entity detecting its own fields variation;
also condider that an hypothetical admistrative module in the most cases
will send few updates regarding to RSVP bandwidth updates
( i would not wait MinLSInterval seconds to send, for example, 
a color field update, but i would still maintain a time filter for 
rapid changes in link color attributes ). 

Do you see stability problems in this change or an
incompatibility in the standard?

Thanks in advance for your kind answers and observations.

Giovanni 

Coritel Rome