Subject: [mpls] RFC 3988 on Maximum Transmission Unit Signalling Extensions for the Label Distribution Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:42:05 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3988

        Title:      Maximum Transmission Unit Signalling Extensions
                    for the Label Distribution Protocol
        Author(s):  B. Black, K. Kompella
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       January 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 18841
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-mtu-extensions-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3988.txt

Proper functioning of RFC 1191 path Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU)
discovery requires that IP routers have knowledge of the MTU for each
link to which they are connected.  As currently specified, the Label
Distribution Protocol (LDP) does not have the ability to signal the
MTU for a Label Switched Path (LSP) to the ingress Label Switching
Router (LSR).  In the absence of this functionality, the MTU for each
LSP must be statically configured by network operators or by
equivalent off-line mechanisms.

This document specifies experimental extensions to LDP in support
of LSP MTU discovery.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls