Subject: [mpls] Is it possible to create FEC with multiple/disparate prefixes ?

From: "Dutta, Pranjal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:53:41 +0530

Hi All,

                 I would like to know if it is possible to create a
single FEC for Multiple Prefixes in the routing table and distribute
across the domain through LDP (preferably for Down Stream Unsolicited
Mode). One case would be when multiple prefixes that can't be
aggregated/super netted (by the egress) follow the same path from
ingress LSR to the egress LSR. Will it be same as FEC aggregation? If it
is possible then how ingress LSR will know that all such disparate
prefixes follows the same path till egress and accordingly classifies
all of them into the same LSP.

Thanks in advance,

Pranjal

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:48:12 -0700

Pranjal, et al,

	I must be lost...

	In the simplest case, why could't a  MPLS
	domain use single FEC and a single LSP?

	 IMO, no it wouldn't be the same because you
	are not aggregating a set of discontinous 
	network addresses. It basicly is the same as a 
	static route.

	My guess, this is either a non-changing routing
	environment, or at this point in time, alternate
	routes are not available.

	You wouldn't be doing any load balancing with
	your traffic, but it would make sense if your
	MPLS domain were say transiting a single path
	satelite link.

	Mitchell Erblich
	----------------------------

> "Dutta, Pranjal" wrote:
> Mode). One case would be when multiple prefixes that can’t be
> ingress LSR to the egress LSR. Will it be same as FEC aggregation? If
> it is possible then how ingress LSR will know that all such disparate
>     ---------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "James R. Leu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:32:06 -0500

I published a draft back in 2000 that described a technique for accomplishing
something similar to what you're asking for.  It only worked for the LDP DoD
case though.

Google for draft-leu-mpls-ldp-label-aggregation-00

-- 
James R. Leu
[email-masked]