Subject: [mpls] Working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-rfc3036bis-04.txt

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:09:11 +0200

All,

This is to start a short working group last call on changes that
has been introduced into the LDP spec as results of comments from
the IESG review.

The changes are captured in draft-ietf-mpls-rfc3036bis-04.txt.

The working group last call is limited to

-- Changes to the vendor private extensions (section 3.6.1)
-- Explanation of hello spoofing  (section 5.1)
-- Changes to the label mapping procedures (appendix A.1.2)

due to the nature of this last call we like to know also if
you are happy with the changes.

This working group last call ends EOB Nov 3 2006.

The entire set of changes to the LDP specification (as captured
by Ina) is included below:

Changes done
=============

Content
-------
- added text regarding disabling sending vendor-private TLVs and
  messages (interoperability requirement)
- spelled out the problem that can be caused by spoofed hello
  messages (this was a requirement from the security ADs)
- label-mapping procedures - fix the procedures for receipt of
  a duplicate label-map for the same fec with a different label.

Editorial
---------
- section 3.5 - added text to say that parameters in a message can
  end at odd byte boundaries
- section 2.5.3 - spell out VPI, VCI, DLCI
- section 5.3 - fix should to SHOULD
- section 6 - spell out CoS
- moved RFC2385 (md5) to normative references, as LDP requires
  support of it via a MUST statement
- added reference to 4271 and 4278 and text for standards maturity
  variance with regards to the MD5 option.
- removed dependency on 3032 as a normative reference by showing
  how the label is justified inside a 32 bit field, and stating
  the value of the implicit nulllabel.
- removed dependency on 3031 as a normative reference by quoting the
  definition of the implicit null label.
- removed the dependency on 3034 as a normative reference  by
  including the relevant packet formats from 3034.
- moved refernces to 3031, 3032 and 3034 to informative
- In the definition of LDP Identifier, changed "must" to "MUST"
  and "should" to "SHOULD"
- section 3.6 removed should to avoid confusion - "how an LSR
  should handle" becomes "how an LSR handles".
- section 2.4.6 - changed must to MUST
- section 2.8 -must to MUST
- a couple of other must/should changes
- added text to say that the document assumes but doesn't require
  familiarity with 3031 (to help us move 3031 to informative)
- removed reference to rfc1700 and replaced it with a link to
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/address-family-numbers
- removed 1771 and replaced with 4271 in the references
- We had previously removed "MPLS using ATM VP Switching" from the
  list of references, but the doc was still referencing it. I removed
  the references.
- I added 2328 to the list of references - somehow it had gotten
  removed, already in version 1 (by mistake), and there was a
  reference to it in the draft.

Loa and George

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden      (Windows/20060909)
To: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
Cc: 
Subject: [mpls] Working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-rfc3036bis-04.txt

All,

This is to start a short working group last call on changes that
has been introduced into the LDP spec as results of comments from
the IESG review.

The changes are captured in draft-ietf-mpls-rfc3036bis-04.txt.

The working group last call is limited to

-- Changes to the vendor private extensions (section 3.6.1)
-- Explanation of hello spoofing  (section 5.1)
-- Changes to the label mapping procedures (appendix A.1.2)

due to the nature of this last call we like to know also if
you are happy with the changes.

This working group last call ends EOB Nov 3 2006.

The entire set of changes to the LDP specification (as captured
by Ina) is included below:

Changes done
=============

Content
-------
- added text regarding disabling sending vendor-private TLVs and
  messages (interoperability requirement)
- spelled out the problem that can be caused by spoofed hello
  messages (this was a requirement from the security ADs)
- label-mapping procedures - fix the procedures for receipt of
  a duplicate label-map for the same fec with a different label.

Editorial
---------
- section 3.5 - added text to say that parameters in a message can
  end at odd byte boundaries
- section 2.5.3 - spell out VPI, VCI, DLCI
- section 5.3 - fix should to SHOULD
- section 6 - spell out CoS
- moved RFC2385 (md5) to normative references, as LDP requires
  support of it via a MUST statement
- added reference to 4271 and 4278 and text for standards maturity
  variance with regards to the MD5 option.
- removed dependency on 3032 as a normative reference by showing
  how the label is justified inside a 32 bit field, and stating
  the value of the implicit nulllabel.
- removed dependency on 3031 as a normative reference by quoting the
  definition of the implicit null label.
- removed the dependency on 3034 as a normative reference  by
  including the relevant packet formats from 3034.
- moved refernces to 3031, 3032 and 3034 to informative
- In the definition of LDP Identifier, changed "must" to "MUST"
  and "should" to "SHOULD"
- section 3.6 removed should to avoid confusion - "how an LSR
  should handle" becomes "how an LSR handles".
- section 2.4.6 - changed must to MUST
- section 2.8 -must to MUST
- a couple of other must/should changes
- added text to say that the document assumes but doesn't require
  familiarity with 3031 (to help us move 3031 to informative)
- removed reference to rfc1700 and replaced it with a link to
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/address-family-numbers
- removed 1771 and replaced with 4271 in the references
- We had previously removed "MPLS using ATM VP Switching" from the
  list of references, but the doc was still referencing it. I removed
  the references.
- I added 2328 to the list of references - somehow it had gotten
  removed, already in version 1 (by mistake), and there was a
  reference to it in the draft.

Loa and George

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                           [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

                email:  [email-masked]
                                           [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls