Subject: [mpls] basic query about RSVP

From: "shilpa goel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:51:42 +0530

Hi,

  I have few basic doubts regarding the functioning of RSVP-TE:

In RSVP as I understand "Link Admission Control" is used within the PATH
message and the bandwidth value is included in the sender's Tspec field.
This bandwidth is moved to a waiting pool untill a RESV mesage is received.
Otherwise, a path error  message will be sent upon reception of RESV.  With
respect to this understanding, I have the following doubts:

1)What actual benefits do we achieve by "Receiver Initiated Reservation
Style"? Why cannot we perform Admission Control and Policy control during
the flow of Path messages only?

2)When the path message is moving downstream and the required bandwidth is
available
then it is moved to the waiting pool, but what if the required bandwidth is
not
available why the error message has to wait for the RESV message from the
downstream?
In this way we are unnecessarily blocking the network with the control
packets if we
know that required reservation could not be made in the first place?

thanks,
Shilpa
_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls