Subject: [mpls] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-mpls-multicast-encaps-07

From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:15:31 -0400

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-mpls-multicast-encaps-07.txt has been successfuly submitted by Eric Rosen and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-ietf-mpls-multicast-encaps
Revision:	 07
Title:		 MPLS Multicast Encapsulations
Creation_date:	 2007-11-01
WG ID:		 mpls
Number_of_pages: 11

Abstract:
RFC 3032 established two data link layer codepoints for MPLS: one to
indicate that the data link layer frame is carrying an MPLS unicast
packet, and the other to indicate that the data link layer frame is
carrying an MPLS multicast packet.  This specification updates RFC
3032 by redefining the meaning of these two codepoints.  The former
"multicast codepoint" is now to be used only on multiaccess media,
and it is to mean "the top label of the following label stack is an
upstream-assigned label".  The former "unicast codepoint" is to be
used in all other cases.  Whether the data link layer payload is a
unicast MPLS packet or a multicast MPLS packet is now to be
determined by looking up the top label, rather than by the codepoint.

RFC 3032 does not specify the destination address to be placed in the
"MAC DA" field of an ethernet frame which carries an MPLS multicast
packet.  This document provides that specification.

This document updates RFC 3032 and RFC 4023.

The IETF Secretariat.

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

:		 mpls
Number_of_pages: 11

Abstract:
RFC 3032 established two data link layer codepoints for MPLS: one to
indicate that the data link layer frame is carrying an MPLS unicast
packet, and the other to indicate that the data link layer frame is
carrying an MPLS multicast packet.  This specification updates RFC
3032 by redefining the meaning of these two codepoints.  The former
"multicast codepoint" is now to be used only on multiaccess media,
and it is to mean "the top label of the following label stack is an
upstream-assigned label".  The former "unicast codepoint" is to be
used in all other cases.  Whether the data link layer payload is a
unicast MPLS packet or a multicast MPLS packet is now to be
determined by looking up the top label, rather than by the codepoint.

RFC 3032 does not specify the destination address to be placed in the
"MAC DA" field of an ethernet frame which carries an MPLS multicast
packet.  This document provides that specification.

This document updates RFC 3032 and RFC 4023.

The IETF Secretariat.

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls