Subject: [mpls] Document Action: 'An Analysis of Scaling Issues in MPLS-TE Core Networks' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:21:12 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'An Analysis of Scaling Issues in MPLS-TE Core Networks '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-te-scaling-analysis-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-te-scaling-analysis-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This informational document presents an analysis of some of the 
   scaling concerns for the number of Label Switching Paths (LSPs) in 
   MPLS-TE core networks, and examines the value of two techniques
   (LSP hierarchies, and multipoint-to-point LSPs) for improving 
   scaling. The intention is to motivate the development of
   appropriate deployment techniques and protocol extensions to
   enable the application of MPLS-TE in large networks.

   This document only considers the question of achieving scalability
   for the support of point-to-point MPLS-TE LSPs. Point-to-multipoint
   MPLS-TE LSPs are for future study.

Working Group Summary

   No controversy reported (see PROTO writeup by Loa Andersson in the 
   ID Tracker).  Several WG participants expressed an interest in 
   knowing how the scaling properties are affected by fast reroute,
   and how P2MP MPLS-TE scales. It was agreed that these issues
   constitute more advanced questions and should be addressed in
   separate drafts.

Document Quality

   As an analysis of scaling properties, this document does not 
   specify anything that could or would be implemented. This document
   was reviewed by the MPLS and CCAMP WGs, and underwent IETF last
   call without any controversy nor complaints. It has been updated
   based on Gen-Art comments. The algorithms developed in this
   document have been applied to understand MPLS-TE and PBB-TE
   deployments by several vendors.

Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the Document Shepherd for this document. Ross
   Callon is the Responsible Area Director.

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls