Subject: [mpls] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mpls-te-scaling-analysis-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 06:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : An Analysis of Scaling Issues in MPLS-TE Core Networks
	Author(s)       : S. Yasukawa, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-te-scaling-analysis-05.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2008-12-14

Traffic engineered Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS-TE) is
deployed in providers' core networks. As providers plan to grow these
networks, they need to understand whether existing protocols and
implementations can support the network sizes that they are planning.

This document presents an analysis of some of the scaling concerns
for the number of Label Switching Paths (LSPs) in MPLS-TE core
networks, and examines the value of two techniques (LSP hierarchies,
and multipoint-to-point LSPs) for improving scaling. The intention is
to motivate the development of appropriate deployment techniques and
protocol extensions to enable the application of MPLS-TE in large
networks.

This document only considers the question of achieving scalability
for the support of point-to-point MPLS-TE LSPs. Point-to-multipoint
MPLS-TE LSPs are for future study.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-te-scaling-analysis-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:08:35 -0000

Hi,

The update here is to the end of Section 1.1 and to the Security 
Considerations section. The changes address a Discuss raised by Tim Polk 
during IESG review. We added the following text...

Section 1.1
   The operation of security mechanisms in MPLS-TE networks [MPLS-SEC]
   may have an impact on the ability of the network to scale. For
   example, they may increase both the size and number of control plane
   messages. Additionally, they may increase the processing overhead as
   control plane messages are subject to processing algorithms (such as
   encryption), and security keys need to be managed. Deployers will
   need to consider the trade-offs between scaling objectives and
   security objectives in their networks and should resist the
   temptation to respond to a degradation of scaling performance by
   turning off security techniques that have previously been deemed as
   necessary. Further analysis of the effects of security measures on
   scalability are not considered further in this document.

Section 12
   General issues of the relationship between scaling and security are
   covered in Section 1.1, but the details are beyond the scope of this
   document. Readers are referred to [MPLS-SEC] for details of MPLS
   security techniques.

Adrian
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 2:45 PM
Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-mpls-te-scaling-analysis-05.txt

> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>