Subject: [mpls] RFC 5921 on A Framework for MPLS in Transport Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:27:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5921

        Title:      A Framework for MPLS in 
                    Transport Networks 
        Author:     M. Bocci, Ed.,
                    S. Bryant, Ed.,
                    D. Frost, Ed.,
                    L. Levrau, L. Berger
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      56
        Characters: 129318
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-tp-framework-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5921.txt

This document specifies an architectural framework for the
application of Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) to the
construction of packet-switched transport networks.  It describes a
common set of protocol functions -- the MPLS Transport Profile
(MPLS-TP) -- that supports the operational models and capabilities
typical of such networks, including signaled or explicitly
provisioned bidirectional connection-oriented paths, protection and
restoration mechanisms, comprehensive Operations, Administration, and
Maintenance (OAM) functions, and network operation in the absence of
a dynamic control plane or IP forwarding support.  Some of these
functions are defined in existing MPLS specifications, while others
require extensions to existing specifications to meet the
requirements of the MPLS-TP.

This document defines the subset of the MPLS-TP applicable in general
and to point-to-point transport paths.  The remaining subset,
applicable specifically to point-to-multipoint transport paths, is
outside the scope of this document.

This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF) / International Telecommunication Union Telecommunication
Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include an MPLS Transport
Profile within the IETF MPLS and Pseudowire Emulation Edge-to-Edge
(PWE3) architectures to support the capabilities and functionalities
of a packet transport network as defined by the ITU-T.  This document 
is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for 
informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC