Subject: [mpls] RFC 6138 on LDP IGP Synchronization for Broadcast Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:20:18 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6138

        Title:      LDP IGP Synchronization for Broadcast 
                    Networks 
        Author:     S. Kini, Ed.,
                    W. Lu, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 20161
        Updates:    RFC5443

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-igp-sync-bcast-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6138.txt

RFC 5443 describes a mechanism to achieve LDP IGP synchronization to
prevent black-holing traffic (e.g., VPN) when an Interior Gateway
Protocol (IGP) is operational on a link but Label Distribution
Protocol (LDP) is not.  If this mechanism is applied to broadcast
links that have more than one LDP peer, the metric increase
procedure can only be applied to the link as a whole but not to an
individual peer.  When a new LDP peer comes up on a broadcast network,
this can result in loss of traffic through other established peers on
that network.  This document describes a mechanism to address that
use-case without dropping traffic.  The mechanism does not introduce
any protocol message changes.  This document is not an Internet Standards 
Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC