Subject: [mpls] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-pan-shared-mesh-protection-00.txt

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:19:57 -0800

Hi,

Shared Mesh Protection has the benefit of optimizing network resources in
transport networks. However, activating the protection has always been a
challenge.

MPLS-TP has outlined the requirements and framework. Here is a proposal that
we have put together to solve the performance issue in shared meshed
networks.

Given its simplicity (actually it's designed for embedded data-plane), this
can achieve rapid traffic recovery and switch-over. The performance goal is
to recover traffic in million seconds for end-to-end transport tunnels.

We are still working on details. Look forward to hear your feedback.

Best regards,

Ping

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:00 PM
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pan-shared-mesh-protection-00.txt
To: [email-masked]

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

   Title         : Supporting Shared Mesh Protection in MPLS-TP Networks
   Author(s)     : R. Rao, et al
   Filename      : draft-pan-shared-mesh-protection-00.txt
   Pages         : 15
   Date          : 2011-03-07

Shared mesh protection is a common protection and recovery mechanism
       in transport networks, where multiple paths can share the same set
       of network resources for protection purposes.

       In the context of MPLS-TP, it has been explicitly requested as a
       part of the overall solution (Req. 67, 68 and 69 in RFC5654 [1]).

       It's important to note that each MPLS-TP LSP may be associated with
       transport network resources. In event of network failure, it may
       require explicit activation on the protecting paths before switching
       user traffic over.

       In this memo, we define a lightweight signaling mechanism for
       protecting path activation in shared mesh protection-enabled MPLS-TP
       networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pan-shared-mesh-protection-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:18:32 -0800

Correction: the goal is to recover in milliseconds.

Did not mean to use US Postal Service or Pony Express for protecting path
activation. ;-)

Ping

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Ping Pan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> MPLS-TP has outlined the requirements and framework. Here is a proposal
> that we have put together to solve the performance issue in shared meshed
> networks.
>
> can achieve rapid traffic recovery and switch-over. The performance goal
> is to recover traffic in million seconds for end-to-end transport tunnels.
>
> Internet-Draft<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announceInternet-Draft>directories:
> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>