Subject: [mpls] working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-mp-ldp-reqs-06

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:58:49 -0800

Working Group,

This is to start a wg last call on publishing
draft-ietf-mpls-mp-ldp-reqs-06 as an Informational RFC with
Historic status.

Background:

The working group accepted "draft-ietf-mpls-mp-ldp-reqs" as working
group document in 2006.

Recently the working group chairs received a question from the authors
of this document if we could issue a working group last call.

At the same time we had opinions that said that we have deployed
implementations and that the current version version did not match the
existing implementations; further retrofitting the requirements to
match the deployments would involve work that wouldn't really be
necessary since the protocol specifications are availble.

When the working group chairs discussed this we found that

1. The requirement draft is less than perfect aligned with existing
    implementations.
2. Publishing the document as an Informational RFC could cause confusion
    about requirement situation
3. That the work document in the draft still has value, if from no other
    perspective to document work that the work group have done.
4. We found that publishing the document as an Informational RFC with
    Historic status would be the appropriate thing to do.

When discussing the process for this by our ADs it is clear that we need
to run the document through a working group last call before requesting
publication.

We have also asked the authors and received no objections for this way
forward.

This working group does primarily not ask for comments on the actual
text; but opinions on and support for publication as historic.

An RFC-Editors note will be added to explain the reason to publish the
document with Historic status.

The working group last call ends on March 27.

Please send your comments to the mpls working group mailing list.

Loa

on behalf of the MPLS working group co-chairs

-- 

Loa Andersson                         email: [email-masked]
Sr Strategy and Standards Manager            [email-masked]
Ericsson Inc                          phone: +46 10 717 52 13
                                              +46 767 72 92 13

---

From: Ben Niven-Jenkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 21:20:10 +0000

Loa,

> draft-ietf-mpls-mp-ldp-reqs-06 as an Informational RFC with

...

> text; but opinions on and support for publication as historic.

I don't have a strong opinion on whether draft-ietf-mpls-mp-ldp-reqs should be published as an RFC or left to expire although publishing it as an RFC probably makes it easier to find for anyone interested in some of the motivation behind MLDP. If it is published Infomrational+Historic seems the most appropriate way to categorise it IMO.

Ben