Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Label Distribution Protocol Extensions for Point-to-Multipoint and Multipoint-to-Multipoint Label Switched Paths' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-p2mp-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 11:43:05 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Label Distribution Protocol Extensions for Point-to-Multipoint and
   Multipoint-to-Multipoint Label Switched Paths'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-p2mp-15.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-p2mp/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies extensions to the Label Distribution Protocol
  (LDP) for the setup of point-to-multipoint (P2MP) and multipoint-to-
  multipoint (MP2MP) Label Switched Paths (LSPs) in Multi-Protocol
  Label Switching (MPLS) networks.  LDP with these extensions is also 
  referred to as Multipoint LDP (mLDP).
 
  Runing mLDP will result in establishing P2MP or MP2MP LSPs
  without interacting with or relying upon any other multicast tree
  construction protocol.  Protocol elements and procedures for this
  solution are described for building such LSPs in a receiver-initiated
  manner.  There can be several applications for P2MP/MP2MP LSPs,
  but these are outside the scope of this document.

Working Group Summary

  The document has been reviewed by the MPLS working group.
  There is no controversy and consensus seems good.
 
Document Quality

  All major MPLS vendors have either already implements or have
  indicated intention to implement.

Personnel

  Loa Andersson ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
  Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD

RFC Editor Note

Section 1.1
Please add the following new paragraph to the end of the section.

All new fields shown as "reserved" in this document MUST be set to zero on transmission and MUST be ignored on receipt.

---

Section 1.2
Add to the list.

   FEC: Forwarding Equivalence Class 

---

Section 1.2 (CRC entry)

s/V.42/V.42 [ITU.V42.1994]/

---

NEW
1.3.  Manageability

   MPLS LSRs can be modeled and managed using the MIB module defined in
   [RFC3813]. That MIB module is fully capable of handling the one-to-
   many in-segment to out-segment relationships needed to support P2MP
   LSPs, and no further changes are required.

   [RFC3815] defines managed objects for LDP. The MIB module allows the
   modeling and management of LDP and LDP speakers for the protocol as
   defined in [RFC5036]. The protocol extensions defined in this
   document to support P2MP in LDP may require an additional MIB module
   or extensions to the modules defined in [RFC3815]. This is for future
   study, and at the time of writing no interest had been expressed in
   this work.

   Future manageability work should pay attention to the protocol
   extensions defined in this document, and specifically the 
   configurable and variable elements, along with reoprting the new
   protocol fields that identify individual P2MP LSPs.
END

---

Section 5.2.2
s/RFC3036/[RFC5056]

---

Section 10
s/configure/configured

---

Section 14.2
Add to the start...

   [RFC3813]   Srinivansan, C., Viswanathan, A., and T. Nadeau,
               "Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switching
               Router (LSR) Management Information Base (MIB)", RFC
               3813, June 2004

   [RFC3815]  Cucchiara, J., Sjostrand, H., and Luciani, J., 
              "Definitions of Managed Objects for the Multiprotocol 
              Label Switching (MPLS) Label Distribution Protocol (LDP)",
              RFC 3815, June 2004.