Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Proactive Connectivity Verification, Continuity Check and Remote Defect indication for MPLS Transport Profile' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-tp-cc-cv-rdi-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 07:43:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Proactive Connectivity Verification, Continuity Check and Remote
   Defect indication for MPLS Transport Profile'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-tp-cc-cv-rdi-06.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-cc-cv-rdi/

Technical Summary

  MPLS LSPs (emulating traditional transport circuits) are expected
  to deliver the same the capabilities for monitoring cnnections as in 
  earlier types of transport networks.

  This document describes and specifies, as required in RFC 5860, 
  Continuity Check (CC), proactive Connection Verfication (CV),
  and Remoted Defect Indication (RDI). This document describes
  the use of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection protocol (BFD)
  for for these functions for pseudowires (PWs), Label Switched 
  Paths (LSPs), and Sub-Path Maintenance Entities (SPMEs)
  between two Maintenance Entity Group End Points (MEPs).

  CC and Proactive CV are functions used to detect loss of 
  continuity (LOC), and unintended connectivity between two
  MEPs.  

  RDI is an indicator that is transmitted by a MEP to communicate
  to its peer MEP that a signal fail condition exists. 

  This document specifies the BFD extension and behavior to satisfy the 
  CC, the proactive CV monitoring, and the RDI functional requirements
  for both co-routed and associated bi-directional LSPs. The document
  describes a number of encapsulations. Procedures for uni-directional
  LSPs are for further study. 

  The mechanisms specified in this document are restricted to BFD 
  asynchronous mode. 

Working Group Summary

  This document is a MPLS working group document, and part of the joint
  IETF / ITU-T MPLS-TP project. It has been reviewed in both organizations
  and there is a solid support for the document.

  The document was discussed and last-called in the MPLS and BFD WGs.

Document Quality

  The document is well reviewed in the MPLS working group,the ITU-T and
  the BFD working group. A number of vendors have committed to implement
  and there is believed to be at least one early implementation.

Personnel

  Loa Andersson ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
  Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD

RFC Editor Note

  Please try to set the figures so that they don't break over a page.