Subject: [mpls] RFC 6372 on MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) Survivability Framework

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:09:43 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6372

        Title:      MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) Survivability 
                    Framework 
        Author:     N. Sprecher, Ed.,
                    A. Farrel, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      56
        Characters: 142437
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-tp-survive-fwk-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6372.txt

Network survivability is the ability of a network to recover traffic
delivery following failure or degradation of network
resources.  Survivability is critical for the delivery of guaranteed
network services, such as those subject to strict Service Level
Agreements (SLAs) that place maximum bounds on the length of time
that services may be degraded or unavailable.

The Transport Profile of Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS-TP) is a
packet-based transport technology based on the MPLS data plane that
reuses many aspects of the MPLS management and control planes.

This document comprises a framework for the provision of survivability
in an MPLS-TP network; it describes recovery elements, types, methods,
and topological considerations.  To enable data-plane recovery,
survivability may be supported by the control plane, management plane,
and by Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) functions.
This document describes mechanisms for recovering MPLS-TP Label
Switched Paths (LSPs).  A detailed description of pseudowire recovery
in MPLS-TP networks is beyond the scope of this document.

This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF) / International Telecommunication Union Telecommunication
Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include an MPLS Transport
Profile within the IETF MPLS and Pseudowire Emulation Edge-to-Edge (PWE3)
architectures to support the capabilities and functionalities of a
packet-based transport network as defined by the ITU-T.  

This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC