Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Detecting Data Plane Failures in Point-to-Multipoint Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) - Extensions to LSP Ping' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:31:05 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Detecting Data Plane Failures in Point-to-Multipoint Multiprotocol
   Label Switching (MPLS) - Extensions to LSP Ping'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping-18.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping/

Technical Summary

Mechanisms to detect data plane failures in point-to-point (P2P)
LSP are described in RFC 4379 - these mechanisms are known as
"LSP Ping".

The working group has also documented requirements for P2MP
LSP Ping.

This document extends the techniques described in RFC 4379 such that
they may be applied to P2MP LSPs. This document stresses the
reuse of existing LSP Ping mechanisms used for P2P LSPs, and applies
them to P2MP MPLS LSPs in order to simplify implementation and
network operation.

Working Group Summary

LSP Ping is one of the key OAM tools developed by the MPLS working,
the draft has well reviewed and is strongly supported by the
working group.

Document Quality

The document is well reviewed in all the groups mentioned above.

Personnel

Ross Callon is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.