Subject: [mpls] IANA section of draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ip-pw-capability

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 13:19:55 +0200

Authors,

I should have done this before, IANA sections is always tricky
and need to be precise,

The IANA section of draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ip-pw-capability-03.txt
says:

"8. IANA Considerations

   The document defines a new capability parameter TLV and requests
   following LDP TLV code point assignment by IANA from LDP "TLV Type
   Name Space" registry:

    o  "Application Control Capability" TLV (requested codepoint: 0x50C)"

This is basically correct, but a few details need to be
added. I would like to have it re-written as:

8. IANA Considerations

    This document defines a new LDP cpability parameter. IANA is
    requested to assign a new LDP TLV code point from "TLV Type
    Name Space" in the "Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) Parameters"
    registry within "Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) Name Spaces".

Range |  Description        | Reference     | Notes/Registration Date
------+---------------------+---------------+---------------------------
tbd   | Application Control | This document |
       | Capability          |      	    |
------+---------------------+---------------+---------------------------

Note 1: That naming structure is not good, I will talk to IANA to change it
to something more intuitive.

Note 2: "Range" is really "Value" or "Type", will check on the defining
documents and talk to IANA to change it.
-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64

---

From: Loa Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 14:56:14 +0200

Kerman,

Hold this until I tell you go ahead. There is something I need to
check first.

/Loa

Sent from my iPad

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 18:50:55 +0200

Folks,

I would like to amend my proposal to say:

  8. IANA Considerations

      This document defines a new LDP cpability parameter TLV. IANA is
      requested to assign the lowest available value after 0x0500 from
      "TLV Type  Name Space" in the "Label Distribution Protocol (LDP)
      Parameters"  registry within "Label Distribution Protocol (LDP)
      Name Spaces" as the new code point for the  LDP TLV code point .

  Range |  Description        | Reference     | Notes/Registration Date 
-------+---------------------+---------------+---------------------------
  tbd   | Application Control | This document |
        | Capability          |               | 
-------+---------------------+---------------+---------------------------

/Loa

--

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:51:43 +0100

---- Original Message -----
From: "Loa Andersson" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; "Martin Vigoureux"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 5:50 PM

>       Name Spaces" as the new code point for the  LDP TLV code point .

I note that -05 has included this text verbatim.  I would suggest

/LDP cpability parameter/LDP capability parameter/
if and when a revision is needed, else one for the RFC Editor.

Tom Petch

> _______________________________________________

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:31:19 +0200

Tom,

thanks - I think this spelling error is mine, and it is far from
my worst.

As I said in an earlier mail we have made we have made certain
changes to the structure of the IANA registry and this will have an
impact on this IANA section.

I will work with the authors to fix that.

/Loa

--