Subject: [mpls] Fwd: Status BOF in Berlin

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:39:03 +0100

This BOF touches on technology of interest to each of the
working groups on the "To" list.

I apologies to those that have already seen this through
circulation to routing-discussion, but I know that not
everyone is subscribed there.

The list for discussion of this topic is [email-masked]

- Stewart

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Status BOF in Berlin
Date: 	Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:06:50 +0100
From: 	Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked]

        STATUS

  * Name: Stacked Tunnels for Source Routing (STATUS) [Was TUBAS]
  * Status: Approved
  * Description

    The IETF has two packet-based forwarding technologies: IP and MPLS.

    IP previously had a source-based routing mechanism made available
    through an IP Option. This mechanism has, however, not been widely
    used and has a number of issues that make its use inadvisable, and
    other mechanisms (such as RFC 1940
    <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1940>) do not appear to have been
    implemented at all.

    The ability of a router to influence or control the forwarding path
    of an individual packet or all the packets of a given Forwarding
    Equivalence Class (FEC) is a desirable feature for a number of
    reasons including Label Switched Path stitching, egress protection,
    explicit routing, egress ASBR link selection, and backup (bypass
    tunnels, Remote Loop-Free Alternates) routing. This can be achieved
    by facilitating source-initiated selection of routes to complement
    the route selection provided by existing routing protocols for both
    inter- domain and intra-domain routes.

    Historically, distribution of MPLS label binding information was
    done by relying on label distribution protocols such as LDP and
    RSVP-TE.

    Several new proposals have been made to make use of the MPLS
    forwarding plane in novel but backward-compatible ways, and to
    install forwarding instructions using information distributed by the
    IGP running in the network, or through the management plane. It has
    been suggested that similar mechanisms might also be applied in IPv6.

    This BoF is intended to discuss the practicalities of various use
    cases and to establish a consensus around the problem space and
    desirability of developing solutions in this area with a view to
    determining whether the IETF should have a Working Group on this topic.

  * Responsible Area Directors: Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant
  * BoF Chairs: Alvaro Retana, John Scudder
  *

  * Mailing list: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/status

Further details can be found  at http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki

- Stewart