Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'LDP Hello Cryptographic Authentication' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-hello-crypto-auth-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 07:00:55 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'LDP Hello Cryptographic Authentication'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-hello-crypto-auth-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-hello-crypto-auth/

Technical Summary

   This document introduces a new optional Cryptographic Authentication
   TLV that LDP can use to secure its Hello messages.  It secures the
   Hello messages against spoofing attacks and some well known attacks
   against the IP header.  This document describes a mechanism to secure
   the LDP Hello messages using National Institute of Standards and
   Technology (NIST) Secure Hash Standard family of algorithms.

Working Group Summary

   Taking a mostly security document through a working group like MPLS
   is a bit tricky. Most of the participants do not have there focus on 
   security issues. While a large majority agree that the security work has 
   a huge value, it is often not highest on the priority list for the average
   MPLS participant.

   Securing routing protocols, like LDP, started with a analysis done by
   the KARP working group. KARP pointed to the UDP based Hello 
   messages as a potential risk.
   
   The current draft has been developed by the MPLS working group and
   reviewed by KARP during WGLC. The comments from people active in 
   KARP have been very valuable.

Document Quality

   Currently we do not know of existing implementations of this draft,

   The SecDir review from Yaron Sheffer took a while to resolve, but has
   improved the document.

Personnel

        Adrian Farrel is the Responsible AD
        Loa Andersson is the Document Shepherd.