Subject: [mpls] RFC 7274 on Allocating and Retiring Special-Purpose MPLS Labels

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 14:02:57 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7274

        Title:      Allocating and Retiring Special-Purpose MPLS 
                    Labels 
        Author:     K. Kompella, L. Andersson,
                    A. Farrel
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 23442
        Updates:    RFC 3032, RFC 3038, RFC 3209, RFC 3811,
                    RFC 4182, RFC 4928, RFC 5331, RFC 5586, 
                    RFC 5921, RFC 5960, RFC 6391, RFC 6478, RFC 6790

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-special-purpose-labels-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7274.txt

Some MPLS labels have been allocated for specific purposes.  A block
of labels (0-15) has been set aside to this end; these labels are commonly
called "reserved labels".  They will be called "special-purpose
labels" in this document.

As there are only 16 of these special-purpose labels, caution is
needed in the allocation of new special-purpose labels; yet, at the
same time, forward progress should be allowed when one is called for.

This memo defines new procedures for the allocation and
retirement of special-purpose labels, as well as a method to extend
the special-purpose label space and a description of how to handle
extended special-purpose labels in the data plane.
Finally, this memo renames the IANA registry for special-purpose 
labels to "Special-Purpose MPLS Label Values" and
creates a new registry called the "Extended Special-Purpose MPLS 
Label Values" registry.

This document updates a number of previous RFCs that use the term
"reserved label".  Specifically, this document updates RFCs 3032,
3038, 3209, 3811, 4182, 4928, 5331, 5586, 5921, 5960, 6391, 6478, 
and 6790.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC