Subject: [mpls] RFC 7506 on IPv6 Router Alert Option for MPLS Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:38:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7506

        Title:      IPv6 Router Alert Option for 
                    MPLS Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) 
        Author:     K. Raza, N. Akiya, C. Pignataro
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 11322
        Updates:    RFC 4379

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-oam-ipv6-rao-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7506

RFC 4379 defines the MPLS Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping/Traceroute
mechanism in which the Router Alert Option (RAO) MUST be set in the
IP header of the MPLS Echo Request messages and may conditionally be
set in the IP header of the MPLS Echo Reply messages depending on the
Reply Mode used.  While a generic "Router shall examine packet"
Option Value is used for the IPv4 RAO, there is no generic RAO value
defined for IPv6 that can be used.  This document allocates a new,
generic IPv6 RAO value that can be used by MPLS Operations,
Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) tools, including the MPLS Echo
Request and MPLS Echo Reply messages for MPLS in IPv6 environments.
Consequently, it updates RFC 4379.

The initial motivation to request an IPv6 RAO value for MPLS OAM
comes from the MPLS LSP Ping/Traceroute.  However, this value is
applicable to all MPLS OAM and not limited to MPLS LSP Ping/
Traceroute.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC