Subject: [mpls] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-ri-rsvp-frr-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 09:17:09 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Refresh Interval Independent FRR Facility Protection
        Authors         : Chandra Ramachandran
                          Ina Minei
                          Dante Pacella
                          Tarek Saad
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-ri-rsvp-frr-04.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2018-08-09

Abstract:
   RSVP-TE relies on periodic refresh of RSVP messages to synchronize
   and maintain the LSP related states along the reserved path.  In the
   absence of refresh messages, the LSP related states are automatically
   deleted.  Reliance on periodic refreshes and refresh timeouts are
   problematic from the scalability point of view.  The number of RSVP-
   TE LSPs that a router needs to maintain has been growing in service
   provider networks and the implementations should be capable of
   handling increase in LSP scale.

   RFC 2961 specifies mechanisms to eliminate the reliance on periodic
   refresh and refresh timeout of RSVP messages, and enables a router to
   increase the message refresh interval to values much longer than the
   default 30 seconds defined in RFC 2205.  However, the protocol
   extensions defined in RFC 4090 for supporting fast reroute (FRR)
   using bypass tunnels implicitly rely on short refresh timeouts to
   cleanup stale states.

   In order to eliminate the reliance on refresh timeouts, the routers
   should unambiguously determine when a particular LSP state should be
   deleted.  Coupling LSP state with the corresponding RSVP-TE signaling
   adjacencies as recommended in RFC 8370 will apply in scenarios other
   than RFC 4090 FRR using bypass tunnels.  In scenarios involving RFC
   4090 FRR using bypass tunnels, additional explicit tear down messages
   are necessary.  Refresh-interval Independent RSVP FRR (RI-RSVP-FRR)
   extensions specified in this document consists of procedures to
   enable LSP state cleanup that are essential in scenarios not covered
   by procedures defined in RSVP-TE Scaling Recommendations.  Hence,
   this document updates the procedures defined in RFC 4090 to support
   Refresh-Interval Independent RSVP (RI-RSVP) capability specified in
   RFC 8370.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ri-rsvp-frr/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-ri-rsvp-frr-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-mpls-ri-rsvp-frr-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-mpls-ri-rsvp-frr-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/