Subject: [mpls] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels-07: (with COMMENT)

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 14:09:15 -0800

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone who worked on this document. I have a handful
of comments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

§7:

>  The following logic could be used by the node constructing the label
>  stack:
>
>     Each RRO label sub-object SHOULD be processed starting with the
>     label sub-object from the first downstream hop.  Any label
>     provided by the first downstream hop MUST always be pushed on the
>     label stack regardless of the label type.  If the label type is a
>     TE link label, then any label from the next downstream hop MUST
>     also be pushed on the constructed label stack.  If the label type
>     is a regular label, then any label from the next downstream hop
>     MUST NOT be pushed on the constructed label stack.  If the label
>     type is a delegation label, then the type of stacking approach
>     chosen by the ingress for this LSP (Section 5.1) MUST be used to
>     determine how the delegation labels are pushed in the label stack.

The use of normative language in example text is very confusing. I fear that
this processing will be read as normative rather than the example that it
appears to be ("could be used"). I believe what you want is something more
like:

      Each RRO label sub-object will be processed starting with the
      label sub-object from the first downstream hop.  Any label
      provided by the first downstream hop will always be pushed on the
      label stack regardless of the label type.  If the label type is a
      TE link label, then any label from the next downstream hop will
      also be pushed on the constructed label stack.  If the label type
      is a regular label, then any label from the next downstream hop
      will not be pushed on the constructed label stack.  If the label
      type is a delegation label, then the type of stacking approach
      chosen by the ingress for this LSP (Section 5.1) will be used to
      determine how the delegation labels are pushed in the label stack.

Alternately, if the text is meant to be normative, then the introductory
sentence needs to be changed ("is used" or "must be used"), and the paragraph
itself should probably not be indented.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

§8.1:

>  To provide link protection at a Point of Local Repair (PLR) with a
>  shared MPLS forwarding plane, the LSR SHOULD allocate a separate TE
>  link label for the TE link that will be used for RSVP-TE tunnels that
>  request link protection from the ingress.

This isn't really my area, but from the fuzzy model I have in my head about link
protection, it seems to me that this won't actually work unless a new label is
allocated -- right? If that's the case, then the preceding "SHOULD" would appear
to actually be a "MUST".

Or is the notion that some LSR might choose to simply treat all traffic as
link-protected?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

§9.2:

>  When a node that does not cater to the mandate
>  receives a Path message carrying the LSP_REQUIRED_ATTRIBUTES object
>  with this flag set, it MUST send a PathErr message with an error code
>  of 'Routing Problem (24)' and an error value of 'TE link label usage
>  failure (TBD3)'.

I'm a little confused about how this is intended to work. At first, this looked
like it might just be a restatement of the behavior of LSP_REQUIRED_ATTRIBUTES;
however, it's unclear how existing, already deployed nodes are going to be able
to send an error value of TBD3.

This same comment applies to §9.4.

---

From: Vishnu Pavan Beeram <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 07:30:52 -0500

Adam, Hi!

Thanks for the review!

Please see responses inline (prefixed VPB).

Regards,

Pavan

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels/

[VPB] Please see our response to Alvaro who had a similar concern. The
above text is meant to be normative. Please see if the proposal in our
response to Alvaro addresses your concern.

[VPB] Point taken. We'll change this to a "MUST".

[VPB] Please see our response to Alvaro and let us know if that addresses
your concern.

This is not a restatement of the behavior of LSP_REQUIRED_ATTRIBUTES.

>
>
> _______________________________________________
> mpls mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
>