Subject: [multipathtcp] Hint to IEEE Globecom 2011 paper

From: "SCHARF, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 10:38:00 +0200

Hi,

partly off-topic: I finally managed to write a paper that summarizes
some of our insights and results regarding payload encoding. If someone
is interested in a copy, please contact me offlist.

Michael

Michael Scharf, Thomas-Rolf Banniza, "MCTCP: A Multipath Transport Shim
Layer", accepted for publication in IEEE Globecom 2011, 5-9 December
2011, Houston, Texas.

Abstract: Multipath transport protocols enable the concurrent
use of different paths and resource pooling of their capacity.
Ongoing research and standardization activities extend the
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) towards a Multipath TCP
solution. The objective is to aggregate multiple subflows between
two endpoints into a single session that can be accessed by an
application like a single TCP connection.
This paper presents and evaluates Multi-Connection TCP
(MCTCP) as a new multipath transport solution. MCTCP
consists of a shim layer on top of several TCP connections and
encodes control information, as far as possible, in their payload.
In this paper, we first motivate MCTCP's design and compare it
to a multipath transport protocol that uses TCP option encoding
only. Second, we show that MCTCP can be implemented in
the Linux stack with very few kernel modifications. We also
demonstrate that MCTCP can be combined with a coupled
multipath congestion control mechanism. Measurement results
prove that MCTCP is an efficient and robust protocol that can
dynamically pool the bandwidth of several paths.