Subject: [multipathtcp] Mobile TCP -- additional bonus to Mobility of TCP

From: Alexey Eromenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 13:28:56 +0200

Hi All,

Independently of your work, I have created a new spec for Mobile TCP.
Basically it allow users to migrate from one WiFi network to the next,
without ever losing TCP session, and even if there is a full disconnect,
the session can be re-connected later on, as long as there is no timeout.

I have created it as an alternative to Mobile IP, which I consider
over-complex, and dependent upon ability to configure foreign routers, over
which you have no control.

Internet Protocol - Five Fields: Mobile TCP (Mobile IP replacement)
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eromenko-ipff-mops/

1) What do you think of it ?

In my understanding Multipath-TCP allows mobility, but only as long as
there is at least one connection exists, that is, if there is WiFi + 3G,
and you re-connect to another WiFi, you can have mobility, but if your only
connection drops, then no.

2) Is this correct ?

-- 
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"

---

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 18:04:26 +0100

Hello,
> the session can be re-connected later on, as long as there is no timeout.

MPTCP already does this. This has been part of RFC6824 for a long time.
> over-complex, and dependent upon ability to configure foreign routers,
> over which you have no control.
>
> and you re-connect to another WiFi, you can have mobility, but if your
> only connection drops, then no.

MPTCP can support a scenario where a subflow stops for some time over 
one interface and later restarts over the same interface. You can find 
additional information on measurements performed with MPTCP on 
smartphones using the Linux kernel implementation in

http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/publications/first-analysis-multipath-tcp-smartphones 
(to be presented at PAM2016)

http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/publications/observing-real-smartphone-applications-over-multipath-tcp 
(to appear)

Olivier

---

From: Yoshifumi Nishida <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:07:06 -0800

Hi Alexey,

> connection drops, then no.

The mptcp spec allows you to support such scenarios. Please refer 3.3.3 in
RFC6824 or 6824bis draft.
--
Yoshi