Subject: Re: Mail-Transmitter RR

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jun 2002 21:46:40 -0400

Agreed.  I send mail from my laptop, which travels with me all over
the place, but my From address is elsewhere.  How is my home address
supposed to know what IP address I'm using at any particular point in
time?  Forcing me to forward all my mail through my home network just
means more latency when they get clogged.  Worse, I've got _multiple_
addresses that I use -- how is my mail agent (UA or TA) supposed to
know how to forward the mail?

I agree that this technical solution wont really work.  However I
disagree that all technical solutions are out of the question.  Some
of the technical proposals I've seen might help.  For example, if all
email required PGP security, or if all email required a "digital
postage stamp" where the sender has to pay real money to the recipient
if they consider the message spam.  For real email usage the recipient
would never cash in the postage, but for spammers it would (hopefully)
be a financial disincentive to spam.  MTAs could verify the postage on
messages or drop them, MUAs would be given an option of "cash the
postage or ignore it".

-derek

[email-masked] writes:

> 	Email addresses are tied to individuals not machines.  I don't
> 	think anyone wants to give up sending email as themselves from
> 	a arbitary machine.  Without the will to give this up you won't
> 	reach the critical match to make this idea work.
> 
> 	SPAM is a political problem and as such technical solutions won't,
> 	in general, work.
> 
> 	Mark
> --
> Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
> 1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]
> 
> --
> to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
> the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
> archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

-- 
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [email-masked]                        PGP key available

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Mathias Koerber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 10:42:01 +0800

> know how to forward the mail?

There are mail clients that can distinguish between different 
sender-accounts
and select different outgoing SMPT servers for each. In addition, I
tunnel all such traffic through SSH to my home-site anyway, mostly to
have a central log of all mail and to have a unified sending-location
anyway..

---

From: David Green <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:49:54 -0400 (EDT)

> know how to forward the mail?

Or use a different From: address for the network you are currently on, 
and use the Reply-To header to point to your real email address. I imagine 
that once domains become authenticated, then ISPs will start to do 
user-based authentication. Therefore, if you're using 
[email-masked]'s Internet account, then [email-masked] would 
be forced by MindSpring to be the From: address for all outgoing mail from 
your particular IP. Which is, actually, correct; the email IS coming from 
[email-masked]'s connection/computer. Then set the appropriate 
Reply-To field.

David Green