Subject: Re: [camram-spam] from the IETF Namedroppers list

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:38:51 +0700

Date:        Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:28:47 -0500
    From:        Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | Right, and it's not intended to solve that problem.   It's intended to 
  | solve the problem of spammers lying by saying that mail they've sent comes 
  | from *my* domain.   It definitely does not prevent them from asserting that 
  | it comes from their own domain.

And this is the biggest problem with this approach (aside from the sheer
ugliness of adding yet one more "magic" name into the DNS namespace, just
because that's easier to accomplish than adding a new RR type).

That is - you're asking me to add extra work to my sendmail (postfix or
whatever) for your benefit, not mine.   The code in my mailer prevents the
spammer from claiming to be you - but I still get the spam, just claiming
to be from someone else instead.

(And of course, vice versa - if I create the magic name in the DNS, it
only protects my domain name as long as everyone else has bothered to
install mailers that implement this check, and we know that isn't really
likely to happen all that much).

There's simply no incentive here, no way this is really going to achieve
the critical mass to have it even slightly effective.

kre

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:57:17 -0500

Robert Elz wrote:

> whatever) for your benefit, not mine.   The code in my mailer prevents
> the spammer from claiming to be you - but I still get the spam, just
> claiming to be from someone else instead.

Ah, adding code to your MTA to detect spam from known open relays will be
fruitless. You'll still get the spam, just relayed through someone else.

This is the same kind of change.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/