Subject: Re: What are the opt-in issues

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 20:49:52 -0700

Derek,

On 6/8/02 8:10 PM, "Derek Atkins" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Complaining about private meetings at the IETF is just plain
> ludicrous.  How much work gets accomplished during lunches and dinners
> during the IETF?  Should all that be "outlawed" because it's not an
> open process?  Or are you only complaining because this is blocking a
> protocol that you are interested in?  You can't have it both ways.

A) I've already stated I'm not a particular fan of opt-in.
B) I am not suggesting outlawing private meetings -- that would indeed be
ludicrous.  What I am suggesting is that an action to kill a particular
protocol should be justified based on objectively verifiable criteria, not
because a small group of people decide in secret that the protocol should
die.  If opt-in should die, the reason should NOT be because of "major
pushback from the DNS directorate".

> I believe that Roy and Rob are writing up a document and personally I
> am waiting to see what it says.

I suspect Rob or Roy sending email to namedroppers pointing out the issue
and asking what others think might have been a _much_ more effective way of
hashing out the problem (if it is such).  No slight intended towards Rob or
Roy, but they are not the only ones who have a bit of a clue about opt-in,
DNSSEC, and the way the DNS works.  Contrary to Randy's opinion,
namedroppers doesn't have to only be about politics.

Rgds,
-drc

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 21:01:04 -0700

> namedroppers doesn't have to only be about politics.

and your message and most of this thread are such shining examples
thereof.

i don't think anyone but the paranoid have said that opt-in has
been killed, let alone that it was killed by "a group of people
meeting alone in secret."

you might reread my original response to matt 
  <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2002/msg00723.html>
and my consistent responses thereafter before hyperventilating and
indulging in black helicopter fantasies.

randy