Subject: confession

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:47:32 -0700

because the events of my day have led me to ruminate on the probability
that when someone makes an accusation it will ultimately turn out that
the accuser is also somehow guilty of the same behaviour, i wanted to
confess a process violation i took part in a few months ago.

there was this concall.  randy and olafur and markk and myself and some
other folks whose names escape me got together on a concall and talked
about DS and opt-in.  the long and the short of it were (a) drafts were
to be updated, (b) schedules were agreed to, and (c) a very short
summary was sent to namedroppers, showing conclusions but not the paths
untaken nor the precise reasoning which had led to those conclusions.

no notice was given on namedroppers@ that interested parties were going
to meet outside the ietf's meeting halls and mailing lists.  yet the
course of the wg's affairs was dramatically shifted by the meeting.

my understanding of ietf is probably naive, but by that understanding,
we did not follow the official process in several ways.  number one, a
meeting consisting of the wg chairs and the document authors should've
been announced so that other interested parties could observe or attend,
and number two, detailed notes about who said what and who convinced whom
ought to have been published.  number three, the results should have been
a series of recommendations to be discussed/debated on the mailing list,
rather than a series of decisions adopted by the wg chairs and doc authors,
and sending a summary of those decisions was an unacceptable substitute.

i apologize for my part in this, and i assure you all, i won't do it again.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>