Subject: Re: Mail-Transmitter RR

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 15:30:01 -0500

Paul Vixie wrote:

> this proposal is not about spam, and the primary expected beneficiaries
> are domain owners who presently have no power to repudiate forgeries of
> their intellectual property.

Bingo. It's about me being the master of my own freaking domain.

As to your plan, I think there is certainly merit to doing it as a private
agreement type of thing first. We can see how well it works without
burning cycles on the IETF (my own suspicion is that it will be popular
with small networks, but unpopular with hotmail et al). If it works, we'll
have better understanding for future efforts, and without having to worry
about collisions. Not to mention the "running code" value.

Having said all of that, I truly despise the MAIL-FROM label.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Al Costanzo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 16:54:11 -0400

If the IETF system is not completely broken as I suspect it is.  I do not
see why the draft could not be written, given to the RFC Editor to publish
as Experimental and then move it to a working group to get it onto standards
track at a later date.

If my memory serves me properly (and I am getting on in years now), this is
what Experimental was all about.

-Al