Subject: Re: draft-itojun-ipv6-nodeinfo-revlookup-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:27:31 +0900

>>What do people think of signing the ICMP packet with the private key that 
>>corresponds to a KEY RR that is attached to the name mentioned in the ICMP 
>>packet?
>	i may be asking a stupid question, but where do you get that private
>	key from?  for instance, if a node responds with "www.ietf.org",
>	we could get a public key for www.ietf.org by KEY RR query, but
>	not the private key (it's on ietf.org authoritative server, and
>	is not accessible from outside).

	aha, now i see what you mean... the ICMPv6 node information responder
	would sign it, and every nodes have secret key on their own.
	the now problem is there's no generic public-key signing protocol in L3.

itojun

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:29:13 -0700

> 	is not accessible from outside).

Presumably the device answering the ICMP request is the one named, and 
therefore knows the private key associated with its name.