Subject: Summary of DNSSEC gathering at IETF 54

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:48:37 -0400

Meeting of Folks Interested in Furthering DNSSEC, July 16, 2002

(This message appears on the DNSOP and DNSEXT WG lists separately.)

The context of this meeting is that DNSSEC is awakening from a period 
of general inactivity as a result of needing at least one 
implementation of the DS RR.  Using fully qualified human names 
(FQHN), affiliation's can be inferred:

David Conrad
     DS code is now in ISC's BIND 9.3-snapshots
     One workshop has already been held to test what's there
     Opt-In code is -at-least- close to being in a snapshot

Olaf Kolkman
     RIPE wants to roll DNSSEC into the in-addr tree
     Developing tools as needed
     Wants to hear ideas on what is wanted
         But there's no guarantee that the tools will appear (resource const'ts)
     Training program being developed to train folks in DNSSEC

Russ Mundy
     ds.tislabs.com is a DS-enabled place for testing
     [email-masked] - mailing list

Dan Massey
     planning/running a DS testbed within ISI activites
     developing tools

NLnetLabs-proxy (Olaf and Jaap Akerhuis)
     planning on running a shadow of .nl as a secured registry
     ramping up activity towards late August

Jakob Schlyter & Patrik Faltstrom
     different activities, among them an effort to look at legal aspects
     want to get .se secured (soon?  next year?)

Mohsen Souissi
     getting .fr (AFNIC) into DNSSEC, interest in IPv6 angle

Marcos Sanz
     feasibility study for .de
     restart of work now that DS is here (a common theme)

Bill Manning
     experimenting with signing the upper level zones (mil, gov, more)
     root keying issues

Scott Rose
     redo NIST studies done pre-DS test, internal (to gov) workshops

APRICOT/APNIC - looking into continuation/expansion of DNS(SEC) training

Others "soon" to be playing: JP registry, RIR's (APNIC/ARIN/RIPE, 
also as above)

At the end of the discussion, there was a proposal put forward that 
various operators design/sketch out/implement the kind of key 
handling that best suits them - as opposed to trying to gather to 
define "the one true way" to do this.  Before IETF55 (Nov 2002 in 
Atlanta) there may be a workshop to compare the result of the 
efforts.  Results of this workshop will be reported to the relevant 
WG's during the IETF55 meeting.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>