Subject: Re: support for draft-ietf-dnsop-serverid-00.txt

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 07:42:05 -0700

>> given the use of anycast, one *really* wants to know the
>> identity of the server, as in host, responded to a query.
>> and not some subsequent query, but the one that gave one
>> the bad answer.
> Okay, so excuse the DNS naivete, but how would one deal with that
> issue?

return the unique ip address of the server as additional info with
every query?  change 2181 and go v6-style and have the source ip of
the response be that unique address.  thought required.

but, if you're gonna do anycast for other than caches, and it would
be good even for caches, then some hack like this AND full dnssec
are pretty much mandatory or you'll never clean up the mess.

randy

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:06:53 -0700 (PDT)

> every query?

Yes, but as I asked, is there any way of gluing the additional info back
together with the response, after the fact, in the client's cache, if you
actually need the data?  In so far as I can see, additional info is only
useful if you're able to see the packet in flight on the wire.

    > change 2181 and go v6-style and have the source ip of
    > the response be that unique address.

I can think of a lot more utility for that one, and it opens up room for
quite a bit of additional functionality in resolvers in the future, but it
also opens a big box of potential security problems, which may not be
fixable without rendering the protocol more complex, which would be too
great a price to pay.

    > are pretty much mandatory or you'll never clean up the mess.

Yeah, if DNSSEC is mandatory, that takes care of it.  I think I like the
combination of DNSSEC and the server using a source address of its
choosing, which the resolver could then optionally use for future queries.

                                -Bill