Subject: Re: DNSEXT WGLC Summary: LLMNR - Using root name servers in LLMNR

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:51:35 +0700

Date:        Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:17:05 -0500
    From:        Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | Then you get a query to the root: "who has the top-level domain 
  | 'tedlemon'?".   I think maybe the owners of the root name servers would 
  | rather not see queries like that.   Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sure that they wouldn't, but then again they get this stuff now, and
this isn't going to increase it much.   This use of the '.' isn't going to be
very common - remember here we're imagining the rather fanciful case of
the same name being used for something registered in the DNS in the search
domains, and happening to have just turned up as an unregistered local
node that we want to contact (note: not that wants to contact us).

I'm not a root server operator, but even if I were, simple typos, and people
who want to treat the DNS as a directory service, would bother me far more
than this.

kre

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>