Subject: DS & TCR clarifications

From: Sam Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:37:15 -0400 (EDT)

1) Section 2.4 of DS-15 says "Algorithm MUST be an algorithm number
assigned in the range 1..251 and the algorithm MUST be allowed to sign
DNS data."  TCR-04 retains types 253 (private, named) and 254
(private, OID), but dropped 252 (indirect), 255 (reserved), and 0
(reserved).  Shouldn't DS be usable with private algorithms, too?  I
propose completely dropping the restriction from the DS draft.

Either way, one of the drafts will probably be editted to make this
explicit -- either DS will remove/change the restriction and
gain a normative reference on TCR, or TCR will immediately
remove/change the restriction.  The question is not which of those
should happen, but what the restriction should be.

2) Does the IANA registry need to include the algorithm mnemonics?  I
think so, since dnssec-records-04 says that DS, RRSIG, and DNSKEY
presentation formats can use mnemonics.  (This will be a change to the
TCR draft.)

2a) Are the mnemonics in records-04, section A.1 correct?  (Some
algorithms need to be removed, but are the mnemonics correct?)

2b) The DS draft says nothing about using mnemonics in the
presentation format (section 2.5).  Do we really want to change that
in DNSSECbis?

-- Sam

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>