Subject: Re: Section 4 of dnssec-protocol-03

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Oct 2003 16:54:49 +0000

> ...  But this document is supposed to represent a complete compilation of 
> all the little twiddles in the virtual forest of documents making up the 
> DNSSEC stuff.  And a *replacement* for those documents - e.g. when 
> complete, this document will represent ground truth and the other documents 
> will be deprecated.

really?  the last thing i heard from -editors was that it was all about
clarifying 2535.  apparently then, rolling up TCR et al will come later?
-- 
Paul Vixie

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Mike StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:07:39 -0500

>clarifying 2535.  apparently then, rolling up TCR et al will come later?

If this is what they said, I would venture that they have a much broader 
definition of "clarify" than I do.  Clarify implies "what we really meant 
was..." not "we need to change some things because they didn't work".  DS 
triggered TCR and both of those are covered within this document.

With respect to the current item, there is nothing in TCR that isn't 
dnssec-protocol-03 and having two active standards track RFCs addressing 
the exact same thing seems to me to be inviting more confusion.  At a 
minimum, when dnssec-protocol-03 is published, 2535, TCR, DS, and the 
original DO RFC should probably be considered superceeded and no longer 
authoritative for protocol purposes.