Subject: wildcard as empty non terminal

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:25:18 +0200

Hello,

while reading the wildcard clarification draft and trying to implement it in
NSD, we had the following discussion.

The draft states:

2. Defining the Wild Card Domain Name

   A wild card domain name is defined by having the initial label be:

        0000 0001 0010 1010 (binary) = 0x01 0x2a (hexadecimal)

   This defines domain names that may play a role in being a wild card,
   that is, being a source for synthesized answers.  Domain names
   conforming to this definition that appear in queries and RDATA
   sections do not have any special role.  These cases will be described
   in more detail in following sections.

That is clear. In (to pick one) *.com, the '*' is a wildcard, in 
a.*.com the '*' is not a wildcard.

Next consider this:
we have a zone file with this:
	
	a.*.b		rdata

	(this implicitely defines *.b as an empty non terminal)

Next we get a query for x.y.b. Ok, we process the query, find the closest
encloser, which is .b. Then we look for *.b, now it does start with a '*' so it
has to be considered a wildcard.  So x.y.b will match on *.b?

Is this correct reasening? If not, where do we go wrong?

    grtz  Miek

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>