Subject: Draft: non-wildcard bit.

From: Bruce Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:38:18 +0200 (CEST)

With all the fuss on the unannounced addition of a wildcard record to the
.com and .net zones, it is obvious that many applications need a clear and
reliable method of knowing whether a response is 'real', or whether it has
been synthesised.

I'd like to put forward the following draft (submitted before the
deadline, but currently in rfc-editor pre-meeting limbo) as _a_ solution
to this problem, and see any on-list discussion on this solution before
Minnie.

   http://www.ripe.net/home/bruce/draft-bcampbell-dns-non-wildcard-00.txt

   This document intends to describe a method of detecting the presence
   of a synthesised answer to a DNS query by the usage of a flag bit.
   It also suggests that the same flag be used to request that a
   synthesised answer not be returned.

Note that 'flag bit' would either be the currently reserved header bit 9,
or an EDNS option.

-- 
                             Bruce Campbell         I speak for myself.

( Of course, a perhaps far better, solution would be to have the zones
  signed and widespread deployment of DNSSEC-aware resolvers. )

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>