Subject: Re: Proposal to fix NSEC

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 13:53:05 +0700

Date:        Fri, 21 May 2004 20:31:23 -0700
    From:        "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | Roy is stating that this issue is a showstopper for him. Your proposal
  | is in effect saying that the IETF, an organization with zero internal
  | democracy and zero accountability should override European Union law

Don't be totally absurd.    As Jaap already showed (after more research
than the topic deserved), the European laws have nothing whatever to do
with this.   They're designed to protect the privacy of the individual,
who in this case, has given their domain name to the DNS operator to
publish - by request (or more likely, by contract, if the data weren't
published, there might be legal action involved).

Incidentally, nor does copyright, which has also been mentioned - in order
to get copyright protection, the item to be protected has to have been
published, which is exactly what the organisations that are objecting don't
want to do, they're trying to keep their list of names secret, which is
really the anthises of the whole purpose of the DNS.

If they were to publish it, they could get copyright protection, but as
they don't want that, they're resorting to all kinds of avenues to try
to keep the secret - which is, without doubt, difficult, or impossible.

kre

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Roy Badami <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 10:03:56 +0100

>>>>> "Hallam-Baker," == Hallam-Baker, Phillip <[email-masked]> writes:

    Hallam-Baker,> Roy is stating that this issue is a showstopper for
    Hallam-Baker,> him. 

For the record, all I actually said that was that ccTLDs have raised
some concerns, and I disgreed with some of the sweeping arguments that
were being used against such possible concerns...

Though it appears now that Nominet have pretty much stated that this
is a showstopper for them...

   -roy