Subject: RFC 3755 on Legacy Resolver Compatibility for Delegation Signer (DS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:02:55 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3755

        Title:      Legacy Resolver Compatibility for Delegation
                    Signer (DS)
        Author(s):  S. Weiler
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       May 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 19812
        Updates:    3658, 2535

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-2535typecode-change-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3755.txt

As the DNS Security (DNSSEC) specifications have evolved, the
syntax and semantics of the DNSSEC resource records (RRs) have
changed.  Many deployed nameservers understand variants of these
semantics.  Dangerous interactions can occur when a resolver that
understands an earlier version of these semantics queries an
authoritative server that understands the new delegation signer
semantics, including at least one failure scenario that will cause
an unsecured zone to be unresolvable.  This document changes the
type codes and mnemonics of the DNSSEC RRs (SIG, KEY, and NXT) to
avoid those interactions.

This document a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the
IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.