Subject: Re: Scope of discussion

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:57:03 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "Olaf" == Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]> writes:
     Olaf> I think it is clear at this point that the current DNSSEC-bis
     Olaf> protocol spec eases content enumeration; I think it is clear
     Olaf> that this causes a number of TLDs (and other players) to
     Olaf> believe that they cannot deploy DNSSEC in its current form.

  I disagree.
  Only bind ever gave them the feeling that content enumeration wasn't
trivial to begin with.

  If limiting things is desired, then someone needs to write those
requirements clearly, and then say that DNSSEC fails at them.

- --
]     "Elmo went to the wrong fundraiser" - The Simpson         |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson,    Xelerance Corporation, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked]      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/ |device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy"); [

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:59:18 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Vixie <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> I hate to say this... if we are going to do this, let's do it
    >> *now*

    Paul> technically i agree with this statement.  but if we were going
    Paul> to do this, we should never have even considered

    >> I think that the chairs should establish a firm time table for
    >> doing this work. It should take no more than 5 weeks.

    Paul> this is also not realistic.  with dnssec, we can't call it
    Paul> "done" until it's been extensively reviewed, modelled, and
    Paul> beer&pizza-tested, and for something at the level of NSEC2
    Paul> that will take six to 12 months.  that's how we found "the

  Yeah, I agree.

  I don't want to pick up the NSEC2 work. I don't care about enumeration.
  But, if we have to do it, then we have to it now, and we have to
figure out how to do it quickly.  
  Yes, it requires beer, pizza and additional workshops. 

  Yes, that requires resources. If the NSEC2 proponents have the resources 
then perhaps they would step up to the plate on this.

- --