Subject: comments on nsec3-02

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:16:29 -0400 (EDT)

Having compared nsec3-02 to -01, I only found a few substantive
changes.  If I've missed any, I hope someone will point them out.
The ones I spotted were:

  -- resolver instructions WRT wildcards, in 6.2

  -- identity hash number allocated, in 8 (but not described anywhere)

  -- truncation signaling method, last paragraph of 6.4.3

Everything else I saw was editorial (perhaps important, but not
changing the protocol in any way).  Again, if I missed something,
please let me know.  I'm most concerned by a couple of missing pieces,
and I'll send a separate message suggesting a way forward for each:

  -- the lack of specification of a signaling mechanism for indicating
     that NSEC3, rather than NSEC, is in use.  I think we agreed this
     could be deferred, but the selection is necessary for
     implementation to go forward.

  -- the lack of clarity re: which hash algorithms are
     required/mandatory and/or a way to signal which may be in use in
     a given zone, which may be needed to prevent a downgrade attack.
     (Or drop to a single algorithm, and remove the field.)

     I remember discussing the above at some length on the list, and I
     think we concluded that we'd require a set of mandatory
     algorithms (maybe even just one) and anything outside that list
     would be treated as a protocol violation.  Unfortunately, this
     draft still has an IANA registry for these numbers (and still
     doesn't specify an assignment policy), which suggests that new
     algorithms might be added later -- we need to tighten this up.
     http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2005/msg00492.html
     http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2005/msg00581.html

And, lastly, I'm surprised by:

  -- the continued inclusion of opt-in (the authoritative-only bit).

I haven't gone through the doc with a fine-toothed comb yet.  I'll
send more detailed comments later.

-- Sam

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>