Subject: (NAT) RFC 2962 SNMP Payload Address Translation

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:54:27 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2962

        Title:	    An SNMP Application Level Gateway for Payload
                    Address Translation
        Author(s):  D. Raz, J. Schoenwaelder, B. Sugla
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 46803
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    none

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nat-snmp-alg-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2962.txt

This document describes the ALG (Application Level Gateway) for the
SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) by which IP (Internet
Protocol) addresses in the payload of SNMP packets are statically
mapped from one group to another.  The SNMP ALG is a specific case of
an Application Level Gateway as described in RFC 2663.
 
An SNMP ALG allows network management stations to manage multiple
networks that use conflicting IP addresses.  This can be important in
environments where there is a need to use SNMP with NAT (Network
Address Translator) in order to manage several potentially overlapping
addressing realms.
 
This document includes a detailed description of the requirements
and limitations for an implementation of an SNMP Application Level
Gateway.  It also discusses other approaches to exchange SNMP packets
across conflicting addressing realms.

This document is a product of the Network Address Translators Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.