Subject: [nemo] About NEMO simulator

From: "Na, Jong Keun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:38:29 +0900

Hi there,

I think that we need NEMO simulator for the verification of the proposed
protocols/algorithms and extensions.
Is there any action or plan for this work? 
Anyway, I'm considering mobiwan package as a starting point that
implemented the minimum level of MIPv6 for NEMO.
I already got mobiwan-021513.tar.gz distribution package. But it doesn't
work in ns2 all-in-one 2.26.
Is there any modified or ported to that ns version? If yes and anybody
know, please let me know.
If not exists and porting is apparently necessary, I will do. 
By the way, also I'd like to know how this work is valuable to us before
starting this work.
Any comments and suggestions to the way of making simulation package for
NEMO would be very helpful to me.

Thanks.
/jong

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:46:21 +0900

Dear Jong Keun, all,

I reply to you directly since I developped Mobiwan ... Mobiwan is not
supposed to work in a NS version other than ns-2.1b6. Also, it is not
supposed to fulfill all simulation needs. It worked well for what I had
to demonstrate, but I've received many negative reports from people that
couldn't make it work under different situations. Besides this, the code
is out-dated (developped in 1999-2000, released in 2001).

Although it's for ages in my todo-list, I've never found the time to
port the code the latest NS version and to adapt it to NEMO.

> Is there any action or plan for this work? 

Probably useful, but not part of NEMO WG (or any IETF WG) goals. 
 
> work in ns2 all-in-one 2.26.

Right. Mobiwan was developped under ns-2.1b6, so it's unlikely it can be
ported easily.

> know, please let me know.

Many people have reported me they are willing to extend the code (not
for NEMO, but for other mobility-related simulations), but I don't know
if anyone has been succesful in it (or let's say it: motivated enough to
do it) AND is willing to contribute the extensions (I'm aware of some
success in some private companies, but they are not willing to publish
the extensions).

> NEMO would be very helpful to me.

The IETF probably doesn't care much, but some people on the list will
find it useful to conduct their own research. Me included. However, this
is a time-consuming task. Any such work should be conducted by someone
having enough time to interact with the NS developpers so that it
becomes fully integrated in NS forthcoming releases. I'm happy to
participate is there are volunteers, but not to do it alone.

Thierry

---

From: "Jongkeun Na" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:37:39 +0900

Dear Thierry,
Thank you for good comments.

I also feel that it's hard to do this work as my fulltime job.
But, whenever I get spare time I will continuously try to get the base
code of mobiwan that works on ns-allinone-2.26. 
Honestly speaking, as of now, I need more technical understandings on ns
such as C++/TCL object binding and other environment/tools. But, if I
can focus on this work more than now, I expect that the stable code will
be readied in time. If it well done, I will let you all know about the
result of work. Afterward, I think, we can more talk.

Best Regards,
/Jongkeun

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Thierry Ernst [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 4:46 PM
> To: Na, Jong Keun
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [nemo] About NEMO simulator
> 
> 
> Dear Jong Keun, all,
>

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:46:21 +0900

Dear Jong Keun, all,

 

Thierry

---

From: "Jongkeun Na" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:37:39 +0900

Dear Thierry,

Best Regards,
/Jongkeun