Subject: [nemo] Issue 17 - Resolution

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:26:09 -0800

hi all,

Chan-Wah had proposed relaxing the MUST requirement for protecting
all tunneled routing protocol messages through ESP. I presented this
at the WG meeting yesterday. nobody seemed to have an opinion on
this. I am fine with relaxing the requirement to SHOULD.

also, the issue also contained some comments from Chan-Wah to add a
section on Binding Ack status values will be added to the IANA
considerations section. that has also been accepted.

Vijay

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:31:31 +0800

> this. I am fine with relaxing the requirement to SHOULD.

To be exact, I proposed "MUST support and SHOULD use ESP".  This means
they have a common baseline to use ESP security mechanism, but can opt
to use other mechanisms.

> considerations section. that has also been accepted.

Great, so issue closed.

Thanks for the work, Vivay,

/rgds
/cwng

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:31:31 +0800

Great, so issue closed.

/rgds
/cwng

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:55:03 +0100

Chan-Wah NG wrote:
>>  all tunneled routing protocol messages through ESP. I presented 
>> this at the WG meeting yesterday. nobody seemed to have an opinion 
>> on this. I am fine with relaxing the requirement to SHOULD.
> 
> 
> To be exact, I proposed "MUST support and SHOULD use ESP".  This 
> means they have a common baseline to use ESP security mechanism, but 
> can opt to use other mechanisms.

YEs, that is what I understand from your email too, Chan-Wah.  You were
proposing "MUST support _and_ SHOULD use ESP".

Now that the slides are out, I did not understand very well from Vijay's
slides the suggestion that, because AR link may be encrypted then ESP
would be less necessary.

I think that closing this issue should be done not only by replacing the
MUST with a SHOULD, but also by stating that the ESP MUST be supported
by both MR and HA.

Currently, pre02 only does the former.

Alex
GBU

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:55:03 +0100

Alex
GBU

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:17:03 -0800

> they have a common baseline to use ESP security mechanism, but can opt

changed it to "MUST support and SHOULD use".

Vijay

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:17:03 -0800

Vijay