Subject: [nemo] Closing Issue 19

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:58:58 -0800

hi,

a new section has been added to section 6.2 to close this issue.

     -  Mobile IPv6 specification [1] requires that the Home Address in
        the Binding Update should be configured from a prefix advertised
        on the home link.  Otherwise the Binding Update is rejected
        with status value 132 [1].  This specifications relaxes this
        requirement so that the Home Agent rejects the Binding Update
        only if Home Address does not belong to the prefix that the Home
        Agent is configured to serve.

the details are at http://people.nokia.net/vijayd/nemo/issue19.txt

Vijay

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:25:04 +0100

Vijay Devarapalli wrote:
> the Binding Update should be configured from a prefix advertised on 
> the home link.  Otherwise the Binding Update is rejected with status
>  value 132 [1].  This specifications relaxes this requirement so that
>  the Home Agent rejects the Binding Update only if Home Address does
>  not belong to the prefix that the Home Agent is configured to serve.

Looks reasonable.

In the abssence of a precise definition of "serve",  it makes me
think that HA might "serve" only one prefix.  Is this the intended
meaning?

Alex
GBU

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:25:04 +0100

Looks reasonable.

Alex
GBU

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:29:55 -0800

Alexandru Petrescu wrote:

>> -  Mobile IPv6 specification [1] requires that the Home Address in the 
>> Binding Update should be configured from a prefix advertised on the 
>> home link.  Otherwise the Binding Update is rejected with status

"configured to serve", I think, is clear enough.

Vijay

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:29:55 -0800

Vijay

---

From: MATSUMOTO Taisuke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:58:17 -0600

Dear Vijay and all,

> "configured to serve", I think, is clear enough.

Agree.
And "How to configure" is an operational matter, isn't it?

Taisuke

---

From: MATSUMOTO Taisuke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:58:17 -0600

Dear Vijay and all,

Agree.

Taisuke

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:30:26 +0100

> "configured to serve", I think, is clear enough.

Ok, short texts are just fine.

Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:30:26 +0100

Alex

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:37:24 +0800

Hello Vijay, Matsumoto-san,

I feel more comfortable if the text specify that this relaxation is done
only when the 'R' bit is set in the BU.

/rgds
/cwng

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:37:24 +0800

/rgds
/cwng

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:40:44 +0800

Hello Vijay, Matsumoto-san, Alex,

Perhaps "does not belong to one of the prefixes that the home agent is
configured to serve" might clear ALex's initial question?  (unless it
really is intended that HA only serve one prefix, which then I WOULD
have an issue ;))

/rgds
/cwng

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:40:44 +0800

/rgds
/cwng

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:15:08 +0100

Hi, I'm replying _only_ if it does not involve additions of text to the
basic spec.  I don't like endless discussions that add large paragraphs
of text to specs that are little help for implementors.

Chan-Wah NG wrote:
> Perhaps "does not belong to one of the prefixes that the home agent 
> is configured to serve" might clear ALex's initial question?

Does not belong to at least one?  Does not belong to only one?  Does not
belong to all of them? :-)

(Checking that a full /128 address "belongs" to some set of prefixes is
something that happens in the "forwarding" procedure and in that case it
involves "longest prefix match".)

In order for this check to be effective, maybe more detail is needed to
explain how, in explicit prefix len mode, the HA checks the Home Address
received in a MR's BU.  Maybe this can be included in the
home-network-usages document.

> (unless it really is intended that HA only serve one prefix, which 
> then I WOULD have an issue ;))

Yes, exactly.

Alex
GBU

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:15:08 +0100

Yes, exactly.

Alex
GBU

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:06:15 -0800

> only when the 'R' bit is set in the BU.

see the entire section 6.2. the first paragraph says

    The Home Agent processes the Binding Update as described in section
    10.3.1 of the Mobile IPv6 specification [1].  This section describes
    the processing of the Binding Update if the Mobile Router (R) flag is
    set.  The Home Agent performs the following check in addition.

Vijay

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:06:15 -0800

Vijay

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:11:50 -0800

> And "How to configure" is an operational matter, isn't it?

right.

Vijay

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:11:50 -0800

right.

Vijay

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:19:06 +0800

Ok.
/rgds
/cwng

---

From: Chan-Wah NG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:19:06 +0800

Ok.
/rgds
/cwng