Subject: [nemo] Multiple mobile network prefixes

From: "Matthew Wilkinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:14:46 -0000

Hi
 
Hopefully an easy query for you all :)
 
I have been wondering about the case when a mobile network has many
prefixes.  I'm happy to accept that an implementation of NEMO should be
able to handle any number of prefixes, but I'd find it useful to be able
to understand when it would actually happen that a mobile network would
have many prefixes.  Would it be when the MR has more than one ingress
interface?   Or in other configurations?
 
Many thanks in advance.
 
Regards,
Matthew
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
Matthew Wilkinson
Software Engineer
Panasonic Office Workstations Ltd.
TEL: +44 (0)131 5611064  FAX: +44 (0)131 5556027
Web: www.panasonic-owl.co.uk <http://www.panasonic-owl.co.uk/> 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----

********************************************************************************
                        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The information contained in this Email, and any attachment is intended for the 
named recipient(s) only. It may contain confidential and / or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy,
distribute, or take any action in reliance on it. Any views expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of the company. If you receive this Email by 
mistake, please advise the sender by using the reply facility in your Email software, and then delete it.
********************************************************************************

---

From: Brian Haley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:30:14 -0500

During a site re-numbering you would have more than one prefix being 
advertised.

-Brian

Matthew Wilkinson wrote:

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Matthew Wilkinson
> Software Engineer
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  
> 
> 
> distribute, or take any action in reliance on it. Any views expressed do 
> not necessarily reflect the views of the company. If you receive this 
> Email by

---

From: Brian Haley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:30:14 -0500

-Brian

---

From: "T.J. Kniveton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:03:56 -0800 (PST)

Yes, it is possible for the mobile network to include multiple prefixes.
Consider a couple of cases:

The mobile router has multiple interfaces, each with a separate prefix
(you mentioned). It advertises each prefix on its respective link.

The mobile router owns multiple prefixes and advertises them on all links.

The mobile router routes to other routers in the mobile network, and the
prefixes are advertised on links below the mobile router.

The mobile router owns one prefix that is being renumbered; both prefixes
are advertised. (mentioned by B Haley)

(etc)

Obviously, there are many possibilities where many prefixes are present on
the mobile network. There may even be a routing protocol running in the
mobile network if, e.g. there is a complex topology and other routers. The
MR and HA have to negotiate, or have pre-configured, a list of all the
prefixes present in the mobile network, and the HA has to set up routing
entries for all of them when the BU is received, as described in the basic
support  spec.

As you mentioned, it is very implementation specific, and the basic
support solution tries to be as flexible as necessary to allow multiple
prefixes.

---

From: "T.J. Kniveton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:03:56 -0800 (PST)

(etc)