Subject: [mext] #3: BRR, BErr are sent by HA too, not only by CN [Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>]

From: "mext" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:04:27 -0000

#3: BRR, BErr are sent by HA too, not only by CN [Alexandru Petrescu
<[email-masked]>]
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  new                    
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:                         
Component:  RFC3775 changes          |     Version:                         
 Keywords:                           |  
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 {{{
 Section 4, subsection 4.2, 5th and 6th paragraphs.

 OLD TEXT:
 =========

    Binding Refresh Request

       A Binding Refresh Request is used by a correspondent node to
       request a mobile node to re-establish its binding with the
       correspondent node.  This message is typically used when the
       cached binding is in active use but the binding's lifetime is
       close to expiration.  The correspondent node may use, for
       instance, recent traffic and open transport layer connections as
       an indication of active use.

    Binding Error

       The Binding Error is used by the correspondent node to signal an
       error related to mobility, such as an inappropriate attempt to use
       the Home Address destination option without an existing binding.

 NEW TEXT:
 =========
    Binding Refresh Request

       A Binding Refresh Request is used by a correspondent node or
       the home agent to request a mobile node to re-establish its
       binding with the correspondent node.  This message is typically
       used when the cached binding is in active use but the binding's
       lifetime is close to expiration.  The correspondent node or the
       home agent may use, for instance, recent traffic and open
       transport layer connections as an indication of active use.

    Binding Error

       The Binding Error is used by the correspondent node or the home
       agent to signal an error related to mobility, such as an
       inappropriate attempt to use the Home Address destination option
       without an existing binding.

 Motivation:
 ===========

 Even though RFC3775 states at some point that a CN can be a HA, it is
 unclear when implementing whether a HA should implement sending BRR or
 BErr to the MN or not.  Some people have implemented this as yes, HA
 should send BErr and BRR to MN.  This has been discussed in the past on
 the mip6 mailing list.  Note that the disambiguation proposed above may
 be needed in some other parts of the document as well.
 }}}

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/mext/trac/ticket/3>
mext <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mext/trac/>
_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext

---

From: "mext" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:46:16 -0000

#3: BRR, BErr are sent by HA too, not only by CN [Alexandru Petrescu
<[email-masked]>]
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                   |      Status:  new                    
  Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:                         
 Component:  RFC3775 changes          |     Version:                         
Resolution:                           |    Keywords:                         
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Brian Haley wrote:
 >
 > You missed one CN -> CN or HA at the end of the first sentence, I
 > think changing it to "it" is fine:
 >
 >      Binding Refresh Request
 >
 > home agent to request a mobile node to re-establish its binding with
 > it.  This message is typically used when the cached binding is in
 > active use but the binding's lifetime is close to expiration The
 > correspondent node or the home agent may use, for instance, recent
 > traffic and open transport layer connections as an indication of
 > active use.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/mext/trac/ticket/3#comment:1>
mext <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mext/trac/>
_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext