Subject: [mext] #4: Remove references to site-local addresses [George Tsirtsis <[email-masked]>]

From: "mext" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:11:56 -0000

#4: Remove references to site-local addresses [George Tsirtsis
<[email-masked]>]
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  new                    
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:                         
Component:  RFC3775 changes          |     Version:                         
 Keywords:                           |  
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 {{{
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 OLD TEXT:
 =========
 3.1. General Terms
 ...
    unicast routable address

       An identifier for a single interface such that a packet sent to it
       from another IPv6 subnet is delivered to the interface identified
       by that address.  Accordingly, a unicast routable address must
       have either a global or site-local scope (but not link-local).

 NEW TEXT:
 =========
 3.1. General Terms
 ...
    unicast routable address

       An identifier for a single interface such that a packet sent to it
       from another IPv6 subnet is delivered to the interface identified
       by that address.  Accordingly, a unicast routable address must
       either be global IPv6 address or a unique local IPv6 address.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 OLD TEXT:
 =========
 4.6. Site-Local Addressability

    This specification requires that home and care-of addresses MUST be
    unicast routable addresses.  Site-local addresses may be usable on
    networks that are not connected to the Internet, but this
    specification does not define when such usage is safe and when it is
    not.  Mobile nodes may not be aware of which site they are currently
    in, it is hard to prevent accidental attachment to other sites, and
    ambiguity of site-local addresses can cause problems if the home and
    visited networks use the same addresses.  Therefore, site-local
    addresses SHOULD NOT be used as home or care-of addresses.

 NEW TEXT:
 =========
 4.6. Unique-Local Addressability

    This specification requires that home and care-of addresses MUST be
    unicast routable addresses.  Unique-local IPv6 unicast addresses
 [RFC4193]
    may be usable on networks that use such non-globaly routable addresses
    but this specification does not define when such usage is safe and when
 it is
    not.  Mobile nodes may not be aware of which site they are currently
    making it hard to prevent accidental attachment to other sites,
 resulting in
    possible unrechability between the MN and the HA, when unique-local
 IPv6
    routable addresses are used as care-of addresses. Also, CNs outside the
 MN's
    own site are not going to be reachable when unique-local IPv6 routable
 addresses
    are used as home addresses. Therefore, unique-local IPv6 unicast
 addresses
    SHOULD NOT be used as home or care-of addresses. If such addresses are
 used,
    however, according to [RFC4193], they are treated as any global unicast
 IPv6
    address so, for the remainder of this specification, use of unique-
 local IPv6 unicast
    addresses is not differentiated from other globally unique IPv6
 addresses.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 OLD TEXT:
 =========
 10.4.2. Processing Intercepted Packets
 ...
                                             ... Packets addressed to
    the mobile node's site-local address SHOULD NOT be tunneled to the
    mobile node by default.

 NEW TEXT (None: old text removed)
 =========

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 OLD TEXT:
 =========
 11.3.1. Sending Packets While Away from Home
 ...
       o  While not at its home link, the mobile node MUST NOT use the Home
       Address destination option when communicating with link-local or
       site-local peers, if the scope of the home address is larger than
       the scope of the peer's address.

 NEW TEXT:
 =========
 11.3.1. Sending Packets While Away from Home
 ...
    o  While not at its home link, the mobile node MUST NOT use the Home
       Address destination option when communicating with link-local peers.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 OLD TEXT:
 =========
 11.5.4. Returning Home
 ...
                                 ...The mobile node MUST multicast such a
    Neighbor Advertisement for each of its home addresses, as defined by
    the current on-link prefixes, including its link-local address and
    site-local address.

 NEW TEXT:
 =========
 11.5.4. Returning Home
 ...
                                 ...The mobile node MUST multicast such a
    Neighbor Advertisement for each of its home addresses, as defined by
    the current on-link prefixes, including its link-local address.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 MOTIVATION:
 ===========

 Site-local addresses have been deprecated (see RFC3879). According to
 this RFC, future versions of RFCs that mention site-local addresses
 should remove such references and replace them with appropriate
 alternatives. In the mean time an alternative to site-local addresses
 has been defined in RFC4193 (Unique-local IPv6 routable addresses).
 According to this RFC, these addresses have limited routability
 (typically within one or small number of sites) but they are otherwise
 treated as other global IPv6 addresses.

 Based on the above, the new text proposed above removes all references
 to site-local addresses and replaces them with unique-local IPv6
 addresses as directed by RFC3879 and RFC4193.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/mext/trac/ticket/4>
mext <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mext/trac/>
_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext