Subject: [MEXT] Interaction between Mobile IPv6 and IPsec/IKE by PF_KEY extensions

From: "Hui Deng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:49:50 +0800

Dear all,

Based on the discussion before the last time IETF meeting in ML.
We (co-authors of both drafts) had a joint discussion offline,
made the following proposal about text of work item and
explanation of motiviation of this work,

Thanks Sugimoto-san, Francis, Nakamura-san, and Yang's
hard work for the below text,

Thanks for your review,
Best regards,

-Hui

Proposed text:
---
Interaction between Mobile IPv6 and IPsec/IKE by PF_KEY extensions

Address problems and need for interaction between the Mobile
IPv6 and IPsec/IKE.  Work on solution for the interface between
the Mobile IPv6 and IPsec/IKE by extensions to the PF_KEY framework
and flexible way to do information share.
---

With regard to the arguments justifying our work, namely
the reason why it is needed for MIPv6/NEMO deployment,
we come up with the following arguments:

---
* Usefulness of the document

First of all, an informational RFC which defines the
problems and solutions of MIPv6 and IPsec/IKE interaction
is considered to be useful for software vendors and/or
Mobile Service Operators who are going to implement a
system of MIPv6/NEMO with dynamic keying.  The document
tells exactly what information needs to be exchanged
between the MIPv6/NEMO and IPsec/IKE protocol stacks.

* Potential benefit for the Mobile Service Operators

Secondly, there is a potential benefit for Mobile Service
Operators to have an informational RFC which defines the
problems and solutions of MIPv6 and IPsec/IKE interaction.
As MIPv6/NEMO and IPsec/IKE are inherently different protocols,
the software may be developed by different software vendors.
Therefore, even though the interface between the MIPv6 and
IPsec/IKE is an issue inside a node (MN/HA), there is an
interoperability issue.  By defining the interface between
the said protocols, Mobile Service Operators will have wider
variety of choices on combinations of MIPv6/NEMO and
IPsec/IKE software suites (i.e., higher possibility of
constructing multi-vendor system).
---

_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext