Subject: Re: [MEXT] hiopt (Revised text)

From: Heejin Jang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 14:32:54 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Jari and Vijay.

I revised the draft as Jari's two comments.
Kindly see the below and give me your feedbacks.

Thanks for your kind cooperation. :)

* Modified points

1) The 3rd paragragh was modifed according to the Jari's 1st comment. 
2) For the 2nd comments, we allowed the Sub-opt-code 1 and mandated it in
a MIP6 Relay option. 

1>  In Section 3.3 (Common Sub-options), page 9, 

Old:   

   While the Sub-opt-code 1 is only available in both the requesting and
   the returned Home Network Information options, Sub-opt-codes 2, 3, 4,
   and 5 are available only in the returned Home Network Information
   option and the MIP6 Relay Agent option.

New: 

   While the Sub-opt-codes 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are available in the MIP6
   Relay Agent option and the Home Network Information option returned
   by the DHCP server, a value of 1 is the only Sub-opt-code available
   in the requesting Home Network Information option by the mobile node.

2> In Section 4.2 (NAS/DHCP Relay Agent Behavior), page 13, 2nd paragraph, 

Old: 

  The relay SHOULD include each home network
   parameter in a sub-option, and include all sub-options in a single
   MIP6 Relay Agent option.  It MUST NOT include any sub-option whose
   Sub-opt-code is other than 2, 3, 4, and 5 as described in Section
   3.3.

New: 

 (added paragraph)
  When providing the home network information, the
   relay MUST include a sub-option whose Sub-opt-code is 1, and set the
   Home Network Parameter field to the FQDN of the network where the
   home information is assigned.  That FQDN information will be compared
   with the target MSP requested by the mobile node when a DHCP server
   searches for the matching information.

   The relay SHOULD include each home network parameter in a sub-option,
   and include all sub-options in a single MIP6 Relay Agent option.  It
   MUST NOT include any sub-option whose Sub-opt-code is other than 1,
   2, 3, 4, and 5 as described in Section 3.3.
 
3>  In Section 4.3 (DHCP Server Behavior), page 13, 

Old: 

   The home network information
   received from the relay SHOULD be kept in the server so that the
   server can provide the information when it is requested by the mobile
   node.  

  The server MUST ignore any sub-option in a MIP6 Relay Agent option
   whose Sub-opt-code is other than 2, 3, 4, and 5, as described in
   Section 3.3.

New:

  The MIP6 Relay Agent option which
   does not include a sub-option with Sub-opt-code 1 MUST be ignored.
   Otherwise, the home network information received from the relay
   SHOULD be kept in the server so that the server can provide the
   information when it is requested by the mobile node.  

  The server MUST ignore any sub-option in a MIP6 Relay Agent option
  whose Sub-opt-code is other than 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, as described in
  Section 3.3.

4> In page 14, case B, 

Old:
         Any Home Network Information option which carries more than
         one target MSP or which does not carry any target MSP MUST be
         ignored.

New:

        Any Home Network Information option which carries more than
        one target MSP or which does not carry any target MSP MUST be
        ignored. Otherwise, the DHCP server searches its database
        by using the received target MSP as a key.

5> In page 15, the 8nd paragraph

Old:

   The DHCP server should provide all of the matching home information
   in Home Network Information option(s) based on its policy.  It may
   return partially matched results.  For example, on receipt of a Home
   Network Information option which specifies "xxx.example.com" as the
   target network, it may return "example.com" to the mobile node.  In
   this case, "xxx.example.com" is returned in a sub-option with Sub-
   opt-code 1, and "example.com" in a sub-option with Sub-opt-code 5.
   Note that the detailed rule for returning partially matched instances
   of home network information follows the server's own policy and is
   outside the scope of this document.

New:

   The DHCP server should provide all of the matching home information
   in Home Network Information option(s) based on its policy.  While
   searching for the home network information by using the target MSP as
   a key, it may return the results when the key is partially matched.
   For example, on receipt of a Home Network Information option which
   specifies "xxx.example.com" as the target network, it may return the
   home network information assigned for "example.com" to the mobile
   node.  Note that the detailed rule for returning partially matched
   instances of home network information follows the server's own policy
   and is outside the scope of this document.

6> In Section 6 (IANA)

Old:
       o Home network identifier                  1
         (only allowed in the Home Network
         Information option; value Reserved
         for the MIP6 Relay Agent option)

New:
       o Home network identifier                  1

Thanks for your kind help. 

- All the best 
heejin.

------- Original Message -------
Sender : Jari Arkko<[email-masked]>
Date   : 2008-05-20 01:12 (GMT+09:00)
Title  : hiopt

Hi all,

I have reviewed this thread and re-reviewed the draft. While I
sympathize with some of the questions Alex had, I see no technical
reason to block the draft from being approved, and I see no support from
the WG from doing this either. So I am now approving the document.

However, as a re-read the draft, I also noticed two additional issues.
The first issue is that Section 3 seems to be forgetting the case where
DHCP server has no information about a particular home network. Due to
this, I would like to make the following change:

OLD:
In a network where the NAS is not co-
located with a DHCP relay nor a server, the server may not be
provided with the home network information from the NAS, and thereby
it may assign to a mobile node the home information which has been
preconfigured by the administrator or which is acquired through a
mechanism that is not described in this document.
NEW:
In a network where the NAS is not co-
located with a DHCP relay nor a server, the server may not be
provided with the home network information from the NAS, and thereby
it may either fail to provide information, or provide home information
which has been preconfigured by the administrator or which is acquired
through a mechanism that is not described in this document.

Secondly, Section 4.2 and 4.3 talk about how relays can provide
information to servers. But I cannot see how the server knows which
piece of information from the relay corresponds to what Home Information
Option, in case there were multiple options with different home network
names. I am a bit uncertain how to fix this, however. Perhaps it is
necessary to allow suboption type 1 in relay agent options, too.

Please suggest text, and I will place it in the RFC Editor note part of
the tracker and approve it. (Or you can submit a new version with these
fixes.)

Jari
_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext

---

From: Frank Xia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:03:53 -0500

Hi Heejin

In this draft, a MN uses DHCPv6 to acquire home network information.

However, if MN only has IPv4 CoA in DSMIPv6 scenario, IMO,
DHCPv4 support is needed.

What is your opinion?

BR
Frank
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Heejin Jang 
  To: Jari Arkko 
  Cc: Alexandru Petrescu ; [email-masked] 
  Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:32 AM
  Subject: Re: [MEXT] hiopt (Revised text)

  Hi, Jari and Vijay.

  * Modified points

  Old:   

  New: 

  Old: 

  New: 

   (added paragraph)

  Old: 

  New:

  4> In page 14, case B, 

  Old:

  New:

  Old:

  New:

  6> In Section 6 (IANA)

  Old:

  New:

  - All the best 
  heejin.

  ------- Original Message -------

  Hi all,

  OLD:

  Jari

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 20:00:55 +0300

Looks good. Can you submit the modified draft?

Jari