Subject: Decision on NETCONF charter extensions

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:36:55 -0700

Hi,

Simon and I have been discussing the status of the WG with
our ADs.  The four of us do not believe that the charter
extension proposals presented to date are sufficiently
complete, or widely accepted by the WG, to justify new
NETCONF work at this time.

As Bert stated at the WG meeting in Paris, the following goals
have much higher priority:
 - getting more implementations of the current document set
 - getting a show of buy-in from operators that they are
   indeed playing/testing with implementations
 - getting a nod/ack from operators that the protocol
   makes sense and will be used

We need to see operator buy-in before we go too far down this
path, and end up in the same situation as we ended up with SNMP.
W.r.t. new work by this WG, the ADs would like to see the
proponents of such new work:

 - work hard on implementations of the current specs
 - show prototypes of implementations of the suggested
   enhancements
 - work hard on initial data modeling specs and show that
   there is convergence in thinking before we charter it.
   (remember the SMIng efforts? we do not want to end
    up in the same deadlock)
 - show prototype implementations of such data modeling work
   so we get a feel of what it is.

For all of the above, get operators to show interest and buy-in.

Andy and Simon

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>