Subject: [Netconf] Netconf-partial-lock comment/discuss

From: Balazs Lengyel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:34:13 +0200

Hello ,
In the tracker https://datatracker.ietf.org/idtracker/ballot/3035 about the 
draft-ietf-netconf-partial-lock-09 you have the comment:

Discuss [2009-08-10]:
Overall this is a well written document. I have one blocking comment though:

In Section 2.1:

    The <partial-lock> operation returns a lock-id to identify each
    successfully acquired lock.  The lock-id is unique for a NETCONF
    server for all partial-locks granted to any NETCONF or non-NETCONF
    sessions.

Can a <lock-id> ever be reused after a session terminates?

-----
ANSWER: Yes lock-id values can be reused once the lock is removed. The node only needs to 
guarantee that lock-ids IN-USE at a specific time are not reused. There is no other risk 
involved as:
- the lock-id is a 32 bit integer, it has a big enough value space
- the lock-id can only be used in the same session where it was granted, so there is no risk of 
another session misusing it

-----

Comment [2009-08-10]:
2.4.1.  <partial-lock>

    The <partial-lock> operation allows the client to lock a portion of
    one or more datastores.  The portion to lock is specified with XPath
    expressions in the "select" elements and the list of datastores in
    the "target" elements in the <partial-lock> operation.  Each XPath
    expression MUST return a node set.

What should happen when the XPath expression returns no nodes?

----
ANSWER: As indicated in the text
   "If all the select expressions return an empty node set, the <error-
    tag> is 'operation-failed', and the <error-app-tag> is 'no-matches'."
-----

    If a node in the scope of the lock is deleted, it is removed from the
    scope of the lock, so any other session or non-NETCONF mechanism can
    recreate it.

Can you elaborate on how a node covered by a partial lock can be deleted?

----
ANSWER: The owner of the lock can delete such nodes. Clarified in the text of the already 
stored -10 draft.
   "If a node in the scope of the lock is deleted by the session owning
    the lock, it is removed from the scope of the lock, so any other
    session or non-NETCONF mechanism can recreate it."

----

Please indicate if you can accept these answers!

regards Balazs

-- 
Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
System Manager
ECN: 831 7320                        Fax: +36 1 4377792
Tel: +36-1-437-7320                  email: [email-masked]