Subject: [Netconf] message-id CLR

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:25:36 -0700

Hi,

4741bis, sec. 4.1, para 2:

   The <rpc> element has a mandatory attribute "message-id", which is an
   arbitrary string chosen by the sender of the RPC that will commonly
   encode a monotonically increasing integer.  The receiver of the RPC
   does not decode or interpret this string but simply saves it to be
   used as a "message-id" attribute in any resulting <rpc-reply>
   message.  For example:

       <rpc message-id="101"
            xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
         <some-method>
           <!-- method parameters here... -->
         </some-method>
       </rpc>

   If additional attributes are present in an <rpc> element, a NETCONF
   peer MUST return them unmodified in the <rpc-reply> element.  This
   includes any "xmlns" attributes.

Phil and I have been asking for 3 years if we can *please*
get rid of the stupid CLR in the first sentence
(mandatory useless attribute).

The rule in para 3 (return all XML attributes) covers 'message-id'.

In the future, we will avoid mandating errors for input
that is irrelevant to the server, right?

(This would be yet another difference between 1.0 and 1.1)

Andy