Subject: [Netconf] :url confusion

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:48:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

We agreed that if you do a copy-config to/from a file (local or
remote), the file must be a valid XML instance document.  In 4741bis
we also define that the top-level element is <nc:config>, under which
all data model elements are child elements.

But it is not clear how it should work with edit-config. 

Appendix E describes the following sequence:

  1.  copy-config to local file from inline config

       <copy-config>
         <target>
           <url>file://incoming.conf</url>
         </target>
         <source>
           <config>
             <!-- place incoming configuration here -->
           </config>
         </source>
       </copy-config>

  2.  validate the local file

  3.  edit-config from the local file

In step 1, it seems reasonable to assume that what goes into the file
is everything in the <config> element.  But that isn't a proper XML
document, since it may contain more than one element (each top-level
node from all yang modules).

In step 2, this possibly invalid XML document (?) should be
validated.  But we have already talked the problems with validation of
a edit-config snippet; it is not really possible since the edit-config
needs a context in order to be validated.  That's why we added
test-only.

Has anyone implemented :url for edit-config and/or validate of
edit-config file?

If we cannot describe how this should work, I suggest we remove :url
for edit-config.

/martin

---

From: Johan Rydberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:53:57 +0200

> is everything in the<config>  element.  But that isn't a proper XML
We actually include the <nc:config> element as the root element of the 
created file.