Subject: [netconf] Secdir Last Call review of -24 by Barry Leiba

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 16:27:42 +0000

NETCONF WG, the SecDir review of the “ssh-client-server” draft was posted to datatracker ~3 weeks ago, but somehow the WG wasn’t CC-ed, or else I missed it ;)   I’ve reproduced the review below; the original is located here: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-netconf-ssh-client-server-24-secdir-lc-leiba-2021-06-15.

Hi Barry  thank you for your review!

Barry> I see nothing of substance here to comment on, and only
Barry>  have two minor editorial comments.

Excellent!  :)

Barry> In Section 2:
Barry>    The lists of algorithms are ordered such that, if multiple
Barry>    algorithms are permitted by the client, the algorithm that appears
Barry>    first in its list that is also permitted by the server is used for
Barry>    the SSH transport layer connection.
Barry> 
Barry> I found this a little awkward to read, and it also seems that
Barry>  the ordering is only significant for the client list, and not
Barry>  for the server list.  May I suggest this minor re-wording?:
Barry> 
Barry> NEW
Barry>    The lists of permitted algorithms are in decreasing order of usage
Barry>    preference.  The algorithm that appears first in the client list
Barry>    that also appears in the server list is the one that is used for
Barry>    the SSH transport layer connection.
Barry> END

Replaced.   And good catch.

Barry> In “Since the module in this document only define groupings”,
Barry>  make it “modules”, plural, to match “define” (three instances).

Another good catch, but I think the better fix is:

OLD:   Since the module in this document only define groupings, ...
NEW:  Since this module only define groupings, …

Agreed?   [and, yes, I patched all three instances of this construct]

Kent // as author

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 12:49:27 -0400

All good, Ken, and thanks for addressing my comments.

Barry