Subject: [newtrk] Trolls and Working code.

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:19:37 -0700

Having a list subject to DoS attack by trolls can bring up some interesting
questions.

Consider the 'big bang' approach of a single stage standards process. When
is working code required? When do people start to write compliant code?

It seems to me that there have to be two separate events so that people know
when to start writing code to the finalized spec. 

I believe that the first event is best decided by the WG, the second by the
IESG. So an appropriate process would be the OASIS scheme. First you have WG
last call and produce a proposed standard, then you do interop testing, a
final round of editing of the specs with no functionality changes and the
spec is reviewed by the community as a whole.

.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:48:13 -0400

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:19:37 -0700
"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Consider the 'big bang' approach of a single stage standards process.

it's not going to happen.  it is generally necessary to have several stages
in order to produce good standards.  the only question is how visible to
the public each of the stages should be.  

focusing on only the visible stage(s) is counterproductive, because most
of the problems with a standard are already entrenched by that time.

> So an appropriate process would be the OASIS scheme. First you have WG

so only at the very last stage does the community discover that this new
protocol (addressing scheme, DNS extension, whatever) breaks the installed
base and/or severely degrades the abliity of the Internet to support 
apps - and sometimes the only way to fix it is to scrap the entire protocol
and start over.

Keith
.