Subject: Protocol Action: NFS version 4 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 06:36:45 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'NFS version 4'
<draft-ietf-nfsv4-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document is the
product of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Scott Bradner and Allison Mankin.
 
Technical Summary
 
  The NFS version 4 protocol is a further revision of the NFS protocol 
  defined already by versions 2 (RFC1094) and 3 (RFC1813).  It retains the 
  essential characteristics of previous versions: design for easy recovery, 
  independent of transport protocols, operating systems and filesystems, 
  simplicity, and good performance.  The NFS version 4 revision has the 
  following goals:

   o    Improved access and good performance on the Internet.
   o    Strong security with negotiation built into the protocol.
   o    Good cross-platform interoperability.
   o    Designed for protocol extensions.

  As documented in RFC 2339, Sun Microsystems entered into an agreement with
  the ISOC to have further development of NFS by the IETF.  This document
  fulfills this agreement.

Working Group Summary

  The working group strongly supports the publication of this specification.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Vern Paxson and Allison Mankin