Subject: Commercial/Stable NFSv4 support when?

From: Erez Zadok <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:49:46 -0500 (EST)

Does anyone know which commercial vendors and other groups are planning to
release a more or less stable version of NFSv4?  Which OS versions?  What
time frame?  

I think a lot of people might be concerned that if a much smaller protocol
update from v2->v3 took years to get stabilized and available for most
vendors, just how long it might take before v4 is stable on most systems in
use.  I don't have a good answer to give people when I'm asked: on one hand
the complexity of v4 means more time before implementations are stable; on
the other hand, there are a number of prototypes actively being developed,
improved, and connectathon'ed---and that can help speed the time to release
commercial versions.

Cheers,
Erez.

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:09:38 -0600

> improved, and connectathon'ed---and that can help speed the time to release

I don't know of dates for any of the vendors at this point.  As you
point out, the current group of implementors have been active in
meeting at least 3 times a year for testing.  We have worked out a lot
of issues with the current RFC and an update is being worked on.  This
effort should help with availability and quality of implementation
once NFSv4 is generally available.

-- 
Spencer