Subject: Re: LINK a symbolic link?

From: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:08:53 -0500

The file system use by the Domain/OS filesystem on apollo
  workstations (anyone remember those?) did not support hardlinks on
  symlinks though it did support hardlinks of files.

That's because symlinks were not file system objects, they were directory
entries.  That makes a lot more sense than making them objects, because they
don't need any attributes, and it's faster to read them out of a directory
than to read them out of an object container.  It's also architecturally
cleaner.  But unfortunately it makes way too much sense so it was never
adopted by the unix community.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone implementing multiple links to directories
in either their client or server?

---

From: Brent Callaghan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:55:22 -0800

> in either their client or server?

I hope not.

LINK won't let you create a link to a directory
and LOOKUPP assumes just one parent.

	Brent