Subject: Announce: pynfs 0.1

From: Peter Åstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 18:13:50 +0100 (CET)

Announce: pynfs 0.1

Summary
========
pynfs version 0.1 is now released. pynfs consists of several Python
tools for NFSv4:

rpc.py: An enhanced version of rpc.py, distributed with Python. 

rpcgen.py: A Python RPC protocol compiler. It generates Python code
from a RPC protocol specification. It constructs classes from all
structs and union definitions.

nfs4lib.py: A NFS4 library for Python. It imports the files generated
by rpcgen.py.

nfs4client.py: A NFS4 commandline client.

nfs4st.py: A server test application.

Status
======
The library and the client is functional. The weakest part is state
handling. Since the state model has changed quite much lately, I've
decided to wait with implementation of state testing.

The test application (nfs4st.py) tests 26 of 36 operations. Testing of
state-related operations like OPEN are missing. In total, 131 test
cases currently exists. 

Very little documentation is available at this time, but there is an
overview of pynfs in the download directory (PDF). Feel free to ask me
if you have any questions.

Compatibility
=============
pynfs is only tested with a snapshot of the CITI Linux implementation
(http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/). This snapshot is not
publically available. It is based on revision 1.103 of the protocol
definition. 

pynfs does not work with the July 2001 release of the Linux server any
longer. You can check out an older version of pynfs from CVS that
works with this old release (not recommended).

I'm very interested in hearing about how pynfs works with other
NFS4 implementations.

pynfs is tested on Linux and Windows NT 4.0. It will probably run on
most Python-supported platform.

Download
========
pynfs can be downloaded from the pynfs homepage,
http://www.cendio.se/~peter/pynfs/.

--
Peter Åstrand                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio Systems               E-mail: [email-masked]
Teknikringen 3
583 30 Linköping
Sweden