Subject: RE: Interaction between mode bits and acls

From: Peter Staubach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:16:54 -0600 (MDT)

> 
> > The question is how to address the interaction of mode bits 
> > and acl's when
> > they both exist.  ACL's and mode bits are both recommended attributes.
> > As a practical matter, NFS-v4 servers that don't support mode bits are
> > not likely to be common in any case.
> 
>    Don't mode bits need to override the ACL?  How
> else does one deal with BACKUP OPERATOR privilege,
> for example?
> 

In current systems that I am familar with, the mode bits are only
consulted after all of the ACL entries are checked.

Are privileges like this expressed only in the mode bits and not
in ACL entries?

		ps

---

From: Carl Beame <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 2002 21:31:09 +0100

> Are privileges like this expressed only in the mode bits and not

On NTFS the mode bits are consulted last. The Backup Operator
privilege superceeds all ACL information and mode bits. One should
note that privileges are not the same as the BACKUP OPERATOR group.
Privileges are only for local access and are NOT passed via NFS.

- Carl