Subject: unix use of open with deny

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:02:35 -0700

This is basically idle curiosity but I'm wondering
about the deny mode stuff in OPEN.  Do any clients
in the unix/linux world have any way for applications
to invoke this facility?  Any plans for it?

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:35:56 -0500

> to invoke this facility?  Any plans for it?

IBM's AIX has flags for open(2) that allow for a couple of sharing
modes.  Originally intended for controlling shared library access, the
flags/options were exposed to the system call and hence applications.
Not sure if they would make sure of the NFSv4 share modes but it seems
like a pretty straightforward translation for what the AIX modes need
(not as rich as the NFSv4 functionality but a mapping exists).

-- 
Spencer

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:32:38 -0700

> to invoke this facility?  Any plans for it?

Solaris has a documented way to set share reservations today,
but only via fcntl().

	-mre