Subject: Re: Issue 76 (domain name equivalence)

From: Ted Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:18:16 -0400

Brent Callaghan wrote:
 > "Noveck, Dave" wrote:
 > > At one time, there was the idea of the "Implementation RFC" for
 > > stuff like this, but as it has taken longer and longer to get the
 > > spec out, the implementation RFC has receded into the distance
 > > (several mega-parsecs at least).
 > > ...
 > > Can we do something web-based that will get the information in a
 > > reasonable form that people can use? (If it were a couple of years
 > > ago we could have written a business plan and gotten a few million
 > > bucks to develop nfsv4-implementation.com :-).   At the simplest
 > > level, a web page with a list of topics, that pointed to e-mail
 > > messages in the archive, could provide a lot of useful information,
 > > plus there would the ability to query the authors of the various
 > > items and get a lot of useful general discussion.  Wouldn't that
 > > be better for the purpose than an RFC, plus we can start small
 > > and build it incrementally.
 >
 > Sounds like a good idea, though it would need an editor to index
 > it and maintain in a digestible form.  Are there any other groups
 > that have done something similar ?  For example, TCP stack
 > implementation ?

This seems like a perfect application for a Wiki[1], such as the one for 
AFS[2].  Wikis, being a writable web medium, avoid the need for editors 
as long as some folks will take the initiative to organize the available 
information once and a while.  It seems like it could be a good adjunct 
for the mailing list by providing an additional index with a higher 
level of organization than msgs and threads.

Perhaps one could be setup on nfsv4.org, or perhaps, playground.sun.com. 
  If there is some general interesting in this idea, but not enough to 
setup a special NFSv4 Wiki, it might be possible to borrow space in an 
existing Wiki.

Ted

[1] http://c2.com/cgi/wiki
[2] http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/