Subject: RE: Issue 202: POSIX_ACL_MASK special user

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:20:52 -0700

I believe that it is possible to map a posix ACL to an NFSv4 ACL *without*
the addition of POSIX_ACL_MASK@ special user, and that the results can
be mapped back to the POSIX draft ACL's that gave rise to them, although 
of course NFSv4 ACL's in general cannot be mapped to POSIX ACL's, without
changing their meaning.

Why won't this work?

     ALLOW entry for everything allowed to the owner specifying OWNER
     as the who.

     DENY entry for the complement of everything allowed to the owner
     specifying OWNER as the who.

     ALLOW entry ALLOW entry for everything allowed to the group
     specifying GROUP as the who.

     DENY entry for the complement of everything allowed to the group
     specifying GROUP as the who.

     DENY entry for everything not in the acl mask entry specifying
     EVERYONE as the who.

     Everything else from the acl.

-----Original Message-----
From: William A.(Andy) Adamson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 1:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Issue 202: POSIX_ACL_MASK special user

i think this is a small addition to the draft that makes a large contribution 
to interoperability. the ability to set the posix acl mask is essential for 
file systems that support posix acl's. the additon to this special user makes 
this possible. we have coded it, and it works. can it please be included in 
rfc 3010.

the issue should be reworded from:

  Issue202: 
It may be possible to map a POSIX draft ACL to and from the NFSv4 ACL with the 
addition of a POSIX_ACL_MASK@ special user.

to 
 Issue202:
It is possible to map a POSIX MASK ACL to and from the NFSv4 ACL with the 
addition of a POSIX_ACL_MASK@ special user.

-->Andy

---

From: marius aamodt eriksen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:05:20 -0400

>      Everything else from the acl.

this scheme will not work.  it will not preserve ACEs across ACL mask
changes.  but we have come up with an alternate strategy that does
work.  i suggest we hold off on the acl mask issue until we get to
discuss it at the bakeoff.

marius.

-- 
> [email-masked] > http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/marius