Subject: RE: 32-bit servers and lock requests

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:14:12 -0700

I blew it here.  How about:

    Some servers may only support locking for byte offsets that fit
    within 32 bits.  If the client specifies a range that includes a
    byte beyond the last byte offset of the the 32-bit range, but does
    not include the last byte offset of the 32-bit and all of the byte 
    offsets beyond it, up to the end of the valid 64-bit range, the 
    error NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE will result.

Does that work?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 1:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: 32-bit servers and lock requests

Section 14.2.10 (LOCK) of the latest I-D says

    Some servers may only support locking for byte offsets that fit
    within 32 bits.  If the client specifies a range that includes the
    last byte offset of the the 32-bit range, but does not include all
    of the byte offsets beyond it, up to the end of the valid 64-bit
    range, the error NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE will result.

This wording says that if the client submits any of the following lock
requests, the server must return NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE.

    (offset=0xffffffff, length=1)
    (offset=0xfffffffe, length=2)
    (offset=0, length=0xffffffff)

Why *must* the server (even a 32-bit server) return an error here?

mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 12:02:42 -0700

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave Noveck <Noveck> writes:

    Dave> How about:

    Dave>     Some servers may only support locking for byte offsets
    Dave>     that fit within 32 bits.  If the client specifies a
    Dave>     range that includes a byte beyond the last byte offset
    Dave>     of the the 32-bit range, but does not include the last
    Dave>     byte offset of the 32-bit and all of the byte offsets
    Dave>     beyond it, up to the end of the valid 64-bit range, the
    Dave>     error NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE will result.

It's a little ambiguous as to whether only 32-bit servers will return
BAD_RANGE (as opposed to all servers returning BAD_RANGE in order to
make the world safe for 32-bit servers).  How about changing the last
two lines to

     beyond it, up to the end of the valid 64-bit range, such a 32-bit
     server MUST return the error NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE.

mike