Subject: aug 5th bakeoff discussion of issues

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:55:43 -0500

At the bakeoff today, we reviewed the current issues list with an eye
towards meeting our goal for resolving all issues by the end of the
week.  A first pass of the remaining issues was made to determine
which issues would 1) be addressed in an update to the specification
or addition discussion, 2) would be nice to address but are not
mandatory, and 3) would not be pursued any further.

Below you will find a summary of that separation.  The issue number is
listed along with a one line summary for quick viewing.  Later, I will
be posting an update to the current working draft to reflect both
today's issues list discussion and will include any updates to the
specification that were done today.

Note that there were 6 new issues raised during today's discussion and
are enumerated below.  These will be added to the main issues in the
upcoming update.

Spencer

Issues that will not be pursued any further
-------------------------------------------
Issue47: Dangling state references
Issue52: Extended semantics for FH4_NOEXPIRE_WITH_OPEN
Issue62: Clarify stateid not cryptographically secure
Issue63: Principal match between OPEN READ/WRITE. Extend to other ops?
Issue73: Credential match between OPEN and subsequent READ/WRITE
Issue79: Clarify upgrade/downgrade paths for file locking (issue 57?)
Issue81: Persistent filehandle reuse (add dicussion/warning)
Issue82: Add duplicate request cache description
Issue141: Directory ordering for migration/replication
Issue143: Migration identification relies on stateid; does this matter
Issue147: Restrictions for OPEN(create/unchecked) non-zero size
Issue147A: ACCESS clarification for supported bitmask return
Issue148: Lease period should be non-zero
Issue158: LOOKUPP behavior for named attribute directory
Issue159: Add mechanism to determine if server filesystem supports named attrs
Issue166: Should clientaddr4 include simultaneous ipv4 and ipv6 addresses
Issue168: Client's SETATTR behavior when holding a delegation
Issue188: OPEN/CREATE specifies unsupported attributes

Issues that would be useful but are not mandatory to address
------------------------------------------------------------
Issue76: Domain name equivalence for user/group identification (mre)
Issue111: Clientid selection for multi-homed server (shepler)
Issue114: Add discussion of client delegation management for multi-mounts
Issue115: Delegation upgrade (Read -> Write) on OPEN (noveck)
Issue125: Discussion of client's remove of open file needs rename to .nfsXXXX
Issue129: Discussion to differentiate between POSIX-style and strict locking
	  (noveck) (include 177)
Issue178: SECINFO's enumeration of WRONGSEC error should be removed
	  (PUTROOTFH)
Issue189: Enumeration of idempotent/non-idempotent
Issue193: Durability of exclusive create verifier
Issue203: Behavior of operating server and PUTROOTFH (no shared resources)
Issue213: Rename of directory (ancestor) of OPEN file (allowable behavior)
Issue214: Delegation and resource consumption and possible deadlock

Issues that require further work and resolution
-----------------------------------------------
Issue42: Access checks on file locking (open modes vs. lock_type)
Issue54: I18N section needs clear language (followup with Patrick)
Issue58: OPEN upgrade and OPEN_DOWNGRADE (inclusive discussion)
Issue59: File locking issues for 32/64 bit and end-of-file cenvention
Issue64: Should access checks for SECINFO match that of LOOKUP?
Issue65: Pseudo filesystems security mechanism settings based on
	 ancestors? (mre)
Issue89: Use data integrity for obtaining fs_locations
Issue92: In authentcated environment, release of state(locks) on STALE_CLIENTID
	 (review 8.5.1 and updated SETCLIENTID text)
Issue93: Add intra-document pointer between 8.5.3 and 8.7
Issue99: Negative name caching
Issue100: SECINFO use of integrity
Issue101: Add discussion section stateid:seqid:lockowners and state recovery
Issue107: Add discussion section of general state model
Issue120: Should SECINFO results be interpreted as ordered list
Issue133: Exclusive create for named attributes
Issue136: SETATTR/GETATTR of named attribute directory
Issue139: Client's handling of change attribute modification after recovery
	  (further discussion)
Issue142: Clarify server's ability to change lease period at server restart
Issue144: Further definition of clientaddr4 (r_netid / r_addr)
Issue165: OPEN(create) size==0, should named attributes be removed?
Issue170: OPEN/CREATE behavior when owner attribute not specified
Issue172: Mounted-on fid for client's providing posix behavior
Issue177: Should LOCKU locktype match that of LOCK locktype
Issue186: Handling of invalid UTF-8 encoding (various error cases)
Issue187: fattr_mode definition needs to be clarified for its contents
Issue191: Add new error to signify server rejection of character/filename
Issue192: Clarify ACE flags
Issue194: Expansion of fh_expire_type description
Issue202: Addition of POSIX_ACL_MASK@ special user
Issue204: Add DEADLOCK error
Issue207: Add BADOWNER operations
Issue210: Is the client allowed to cache access time and is the server
	  required to update it
Issue211: mode bits and acl relationship
Issue212: Discussion client REMOVE of open file
Issue215: Discussion of multi-outstanding-OPENs with same open owner
	  and properly sequenced (client's need for recovery of
	  out-of-order servicing)