Subject: ACE flags SUCCESSFUL_ACCESS_FLAG and FAILED_ACCESS_FLAG

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:11:45 -0500

In an effort to resolve Issue 192 that reads:

Clarify the ACE flags ACE4_SUCCESSFUL_ACCESS_FLAG and
ACE4_FAILED_ACCESS_FLAG and expected behaviors.

Does anyone know what these flags mean?  Is Carl Beame listening? :-)

Spencer

---

From: Carl Beame <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Aug 2002 12:03:07 +0100

> Does anyone know what these flags mean?  Is Carl Beame listening? :-)

I am not in Seattle, but I am listening.

These flags only relate to ALARMS or AUDIT. When attempting to open a
file the system comes across an ALARM or AUDIT ACL which matches the
user making the attempt, it notes this fact and the setting of the
above two bits. When the system completes its ACL checks AND sharing
checks and opens or doesn't open the file, it then determines if an
ALARM/AUDIT (logging) is required. If the ACE4_FAILED_ACCESS_FLAG
flag is set and the open failed an ALARM /AUDIT event occurs, if the
ACE4_SUCCESSFUL_ACCESS_FLAG bit is set and the open succeeds then an
ALARM/AUDIT event occurs. Both bits can be set, but having neither
bit set would not be useful.  

- Carl Beame
Ireland