Subject: WebDAV / NFSv4 comparisons?

From: Erik Forsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Dec 2002 22:18:23 +0100

Hi!

[I hope you don't get this twice - I had some trouble getting on the list]

A friend of mine hinted that this list is full of people with
good knowledge of network filesystems. I hope you don't mind the
somewhat non-NFSv4 related subject of this mail.

Anyway, I'm currently evaluating WebDAV versus other ways of accessing
remote files. Does any of you know of some kind of comparison between
NFS and WebDAV? WebDAV, for example, doesn't seem to be able to read
parts of files, which makes it uninteresting for slow connections. I
might be wrong here, can any of you correct me?

Regards,
\EF
-- 
Erik Forsberg                 http://www.lysator.liu.se/~forsberg/
GPG/PGP Key: 1024D/0BAC89D9

---

From: "Eric Sedlar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:29:01 -0800

You are correct--in general, you cannot count on WebDAV servers to support
the HTTP Range headers.

--Eric