Subject: interpretation of LOCK usage (open_to_lock_owner4 usage)

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:07:47 -0600

I am posting to convey my interpretation of dealing with a particular
scenario involving LOCK operation usage.

The scenario is:

Client sends a LOCK with the new_lock_owner specified and provides a
lock_owner (LO1).  The server responds to this appropriately.

The client send zero or more LOCK/LOCKU operations but does not send a
RELEASE_LOCKOWNER operation for LO1 and the file is still open.

The client sends a new LOCK request with new_lock_owner specified and
provides the same lock_owner (LO1) as in the first LOCK request.

The question is what does the server do with this second LOCK request.
since the second LOCK request is using an "established" lock_owner and
potentially specifying a new lock_seqid.

For this case, I am coding our server to return NFS4ERR_BAD_SEQID
therefore forcing the client to appropriately track its use of a
lock_owner/file association.

Comments?

Spencer