Subject: Protocol Action: NFS version 4 Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:49:22 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'NFS version 4 Protocol' 
 <draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3010bis-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
 This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 
 Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott
 Bradner. 
   
 Technical Summary
   
   This document replaces RFC3010 as the definition of the NFS version 4
   protocol.

   NFS version 4 is a distributed filesystem protocol which owes 
   heritage to NFS protocol versions 2 (RFC1094) and 3 (RFC1813). Unlike 
   earlier versions, the NFS version 4 protocol supports traditional file 
   access while integrating support for file locking and the mount protocol. 
   In addition, support for strong security (and its negotiation), compound 
   operations, client caching, and internationalization have been added. Of 
   course, attention has been applied to making NFS version 4 operate well 
   in an Internet environment.
   
 Working Group Summary
   
   The working group supported publication of this document.
   
 Protocol Quality
   
   This document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.