Subject: [nfsv4] more on open/lock relationship

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:17:43 -0400 (EDT)

> Almost.  The from-open case of LOCK branches off a new stateid sequence.
> Since you can have the same open stateid given risen to a number of
> different lock stateid sequences (corresponding to the various =
> lockowners),
> each of these stateid's sequences is independent, once it has branched
> off of the open stateid-sequence.

Ok, I think I am getting the idea. But when you say "independent" you mean a
separate stateid sequence, not
completely unrelated. There is still the "sibling" relationship
with the open stateid sequence, which is what determines which locks
close cares about.

Does that sound right?
> Sorry that the spec doesn't make this more clear.  It was thoroughly
> reviewed by people who already understood it, so we couldn't see
> the clarity problems

Don't apologize. It's just my confused mis-comprehension (if that's even
a word:-)

Thanks again for all the help, rick
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:00:43 -0700

> Does that sound right?

Yes.

> Don't apologize. It's just my confused mis-comprehension (if that's even

Should be a word.  I look at it this way.  A considerable percentage 
of the serious readers of the spec who are not authors had trouble 
understanding a major aspect of it.  That would be true even if you 
were the only one who had a problem and I suspect you weren't.  Sounds 
to me like we should have been clearer.