Subject: [nfsv4] open/lock owner and stateid (one more try)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 17:35:31 -0400 (EDT)

Ok, I think I might know where my confusion comes from.

> Sort of but it is not the owners that are associated with one 
> another but rather the stateid's that are associated with each
> other.  Each of the stateid's is associated with a lockowner so
> there is an indirect associated, but that isn't the primary thing.
> 
> So, for example *C1:P2* and *C1:P3* are associated with open stateid
> *C1:P1*.  Now the owner of of *C1:P2* is "C1:P2" but the reverse
> mapping from "C1:P2" to *C1:P2* is potentially one-many.  Can 
> association between open-owners and lock-owners be inferred but it
> is secondary.  The basic thing is the association of opens and locks. 

All along, from my reading of 8.1.3, I thought that a stateid was simply
a shorthand for an owner. From what you say here, it doesn't just refer
to an "owner".

So, does a stateid refer to an owner doing a sequence of ops that starts
with OPEN on a file? (In other words, there is a sequence of ops, starting
with OPEN, then followed by some sequence of OPEN_DOWNGRADE, LOCK, LOCKT,
LOCKU and ending with a CLOSE and the "stateid" refers to that sequence of
ops for that owner with the stateid.seqid identifying where in the sequence
of state changes the stateid is?)

If that makes sense, then I think I've finally got it. (Yippee!!)

Thanks a lot for the help Dave (and others in the past), rick
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 20:16:11 -0700

> of state changes the stateid is?)

Almost.  The from-open case of LOCK branches off a new stateid sequence.
Since you can have the same open stateid given risen to a number of
different lock stateid sequences (corresponding to the various lockowners),
each of these stateid's sequences is independent, once it has branched
off of the open stateid-sequence.

> If that makes sense, then I think I've finally got it. (Yippee!!)

I think you've got the basic idea.

> Thanks a lot for the help Dave (and others in the past), rick
 
Sorry that the spec doesn't make this more clear.  It was thoroughly
reviewed by people who already understood it, so we couldn't see 
the clarity problems :-(