Subject: [nfsv4] Clarification on READ with an all bits 1 stateid

From: Carl Burnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 13:12:46 -0500

From the spec,

"For a READ with a stateid value of all bits 0, the server MAY allow
the READ to be serviced subject to mandatory file locks or the
current share deny modes for the file.  For a READ with a stateid
value of all bits 1, the server MAY allow READ operations to bypass
locking checks at the server."

In the all bits 1 case, does "bypass locking checks" mean oshare 
reservation checks and byte range lock checks if the server is a mandatory 
locking platform?

I assume for a POSIX advisory locking platform, the byte range lock checks 
don't apply.

Is anyone thinking of allowing the bypass of "locking checks" on all bits 
1 in their server implementation. If "locking checks" also means oshare 
checks, doesn't it sort of defeat the feature of oshare reservations?

Thanks,
Carl

Carl Burnett
AIX Kernel Architecture - Distributed File Systems
(512) 838-8498, TL 678-8498
(please reply to [email-masked])

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4