Subject: RE: [nfsv4] release_lockowner

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:37:53 -0700

I believe that release_lockowner is only for lock owners.

Open owners are dealt with by allowing the server to simply
get rid of the data structure associated with an open owner 
with no open file.  If he does this, then he can safely re-
establish the open owner context (the right sequence number)
using OPEN_CONFIRM logic.

Lock owners doesn't have an analogous mechanism.  There is 
no LOCK_CONFIRM, for which I'm duly grateful.  However,
since there is no LOCK_CONFIRM, the server would have to hold
onto the lock owner information indefinitely, even if there 
where no active locks, since he would have no way of knowing
if the client might subsequently send him a new lock for 
that owner, even after a very long delay.  By using 
RELEASE_LOCKOWNER, the client can tell the server that
that owner will not reappear, letting him release the
storage.

Note that once you do a RELEASE_LOCKOWNER you had better make 
sure you never use that lock owner value ever again, since there
is a (infinitesimal) probability that a retransmitted 
RELEASE_LOCKOWNER might destroy something created later that
you really wanted.  With that precaution, RELEASE_LOCKOWNER
doesn't really need replay protection, but as I look at each
such issue, I'm more and more convinced of the rightness of
the approach that Tom Talpey and Spencer take in their session
extensions document -- Solve the replay problem once rather
than in a slightly different way for each operation. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Ronald E Bretschneider [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 1:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] release_lockowner

Hi,
   The release_lockowner operation accepts a lock_owner4 parameter.  Does
this explicitly refer to "lock owners" and NOT "open owners", which would
have been an open_owner4 type?  Do you expect to see the release_lockowner
operation used to release an open owner?

thanks,
Ron

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4