Subject: [nfsv4] unix vs. nfsv4 access mask semantics

From: marius aamodt eriksen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:51:44 -0500

an observation:

ok, so in unix, for directories, we have something like this:

   r   read directory contents; readdir won't work without this
   x   search directory contents;  the ability to do a lookup in the
       directory, essentially 
   w   create/destroy directory entries

it seems to me that we can't express this precisely in nfsv4; an
example scenario: directory q with mode r.  in unix, we won't be able
to read q/y even if we have perms for y, because we cannot look it up.
in nfsv4 with *_GENERIC_*, i see nothing that prevents us from looking
up q/y.  it is of course up to the server to either permit or deny the
lookup, but i see no way to express this precisely in nfsv4 mode bits,
essentially the difference between doing a readdir, and doing a
lookup.

marius.

-- 
marius a eriksen <[email-masked]> | http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/marius/

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4