Subject: [nfsv4] ACL: Is an ACE with "ACCESS MASK == 0 " legal?

From: Wu Zheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:50:41 -0600

Should a server accept an ACL which has one or more ACEs with "ACCESS MASK
== 0 " ?
Or should the server reject the ACL as an invalid argument?

Wu Zheng
[email-masked]
Phone: (512) 838-0558    T/L: 678-0558
11400 Burnet Road,  Austin, TX 78758

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:11:21 -0500

> Or should the server reject the ACL as an invalid argument?

I believe it should accept the ACL.

If it doesn't then a client trying to use nfsv4 acl's to store posix
acl's (using for example
http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/marius/draft-eriksen-nfsv4-acl-02.txt) won't
work; such a client depends on the server accepting and returning
verbatim ACLs that have entries that are ineffective (because the mask
is zero, or because they deny bits that have already been denied) but
that carry information for clients (for example, to reconstruct mode
bits and the posix mask ace).

--Bruce Fields

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4