Subject: RE: [nfsv4] Global namespace for v4.1?

From: "Yoder, Alan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:24:48 -0800

>  - NFSv2/3/4 + automounter (overrides referrals)
> 
>  - NFSv2/3 + automounter for v2/3 clients, NFSv4 + referrals for v4
>    clients

   Could someone please take automounter out into
the weeds and let it die?  Or fix it so readdir()
thinks an automount point needs to be listed? 

   I guess I'm saying that in my view a requirement
for a global namespace is that it be browsable.

Alan

===============================================================
Alan G. Yoder                                    [email-masked]
Technical Staff                          
Network Appliance, Inc.                            408-822-6919
=============================================================== 

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:27:26 -0600

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:24:48PM -0800, Yoder, Alan wrote:
> the weeds and let it die?

Not really.  It has to stick around for v2/3; w/ referrals in v4 we
could get rid of it.

>                            Or fix it so readdir()

*waves wand* *poof*

Done, for Solaris 2.6 and up.  See the tip jar on the way out :)

> for a global namespace is that it be browsable.

Some automounters (*cough*, Solaris', *cough*) do support map browsing :)

In practice however, if a given indirect map is very large browsing it
can be slow, at least initially if the map isn't in the cache.

Cheers,

Nico
--

---

From: Erez Zadok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:47:20 -0500

> Some automounters (*cough*, Solaris', *cough*) do support map browsing :)
[...]

Amd (www.am-utils.org) supported browsable directories for years now.  If
the OS has a decent Autofs implementation, then we use it as much as
possible.  This can lessen the chances of mount storms.

My cough list for browsing support includes a couple dozen platforms and
variants beyond Solaris... :-)

Cheers,
Erez.