Subject: [nfsv4] NFS4ERR_RESOURCE

From: namit jain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:13:30 -0800 (PST)

How do clients deal with the above ?

Is this is a common error status when the server
cannot buffer the entire response ? for eg.
if there are 20 requests in a COMPOUND request, and
the 10th operation is a READ, is it OK for the server
to process only the first 10 operations (because of 
buffering limitations), even though is nothing wrong
on the subsequent operations and return 
NFS4ERR_RESOURCE.

Thanks,
-namit

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing.
http://photos.yahoo.com/

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:56:12 -0600

The scenario you describe is the most likely candidate for
receipt of NFS4ERR_RESOURCE but there are likely others
that may occur and the server is at liberty to make the decision.

The intent of NFS4ERR_RESOURCE was for resource exhaustion
issues at the server as one might expect.  The need for such an
error was obvious and as guidance to the server implementor the
error should be used sparingly.

As for client recovery from such an error, the general approach
will be similar to other errors that can occur within a set of
operations in the COMPOUND.  Stating the obvious, the range
of recovery solutions at the client will depend on the environment
of the client and the resiliency requirements of that environment.
However, the client should do its best not to leave state dangling
at the server so as to avoid problems later on.  As for specific
recovery mechanisms to be used, it is difficult to provide advise
with additional context.

Spencer