Subject: Re: [nfsv4] DELETE_CHILD and DELETE

From: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:21:35 -0500

I think you need WRITE_ATTRIBUTES on the file to decrement the link
  count, when the link count is greater than one.

No, I don't think so.  WRITE_ATTRIBUTES is for those attributes that are
explicitly set by the client, the ones marked R/W in section 5.5 of the rfc.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:16:16 -0500

> explicitly set by the client, the ones marked R/W in section 5.5 of the rfc.

Except that there's a specific exception in the rfc, which says
WRITE_ATTRIBUTES controls "The ability to write basic attributes
(non-acls) of a file".

"basic attributes" isn't a term that's defined anywhere; reading this
text you might assume it just meant attributes other than acls, but I
think it was intended to mean attributes other than named attributes.

Of course if WRITE_ATTRIBUTES allows writing of mode bits, then in
practice it *does* allow writing of acls.  So perhaps mode bits should
also be excepted.

I'm also a little confused as to whether WRITE_ATTRIBUTES should control
the ability to write the size attribute.

--Bruce Fields