Subject: RE: [nfsv4] RENAME and NFS4ERR_ISDIR

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:57:40 -0800

> What's the correct thing to do. I think NFS4ERR_ISDIR should be allowed 
> for RENAME.

I agree but how (procedurally) do we make that happen?

RFC 3530 is set in stone but is it sandstone, granite, or what?

I assume we can address stuff like that in v4.1 (in addition to
the bigger stuff like sessions and directory delegation) but how
can we change v4.0, in the meantime?

Making this change doesn't really cause an incompatibility.  Nobody,
except a hypothetical test suite would be depending on NFS4ERR_ISDIR 
not being returned by RENAME.  Supposing that this clears the first
hurdle, of the working group thinking this is a good thing to do,
what other hurdles are there?  

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Burnett [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 10:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] RENAME and NFS4ERR_ISDIR

The RENAME operation does not list NFS4ERR_ISDIR as a valid error. 

POSIX states that if you try to rename a file to a directory (oldpath is 
file, newpath is a dir), EISDIR should be returned. Without allowing 
NFS4ERR_ISDIR as a valid return, the POSIX behavior cannot be achieved 
with NFSv4.

Currently, the spec seems to suggest that NFS4ERR_EXIST should be 
returned. -

        "If they are not  compatible or if the target is a directory but 
not empty, the server will return the error, NFS4ERR_EXIST."

We noticed in testing with the Solaris beta download, that the server 
looks to be returning NFS4ERR_ISDIR in this case, which per the spec would 
be non-compliant. But of course, it allows POSIX behavior.

What's the correct thing to do. I think NFS4ERR_ISDIR should be allowed 
for RENAME.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl Burnett
AIX Kernel Architecture - Network File System
(512) 838-8498, TL 678-8498
(please reply to [email-masked])

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:33:46 -0600

Note, we are able to submit RFC errata for this type of change.  We 
have one
or two other error code changes that have been mentioned in the past
that should be included in the errata as well.

Spencer

---

From: Carl Burnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:07:58 -0600

Can this get done ASAP. I would like to change our server with the comfort 
that its in spec. I would also like to know what the other errors you 
refer to below are.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl Burnett

Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
02/04/2004 11:33 AM
 
        To:     "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
        cc:     <[email-masked]>, Carl Burnett/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
        Subject:        Re: [nfsv4] RENAME and NFS4ERR_ISDIR

Spencer

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:05:23 -0600

First we need to ensure we have WG consensus on this and other proposed
errata and this will include approval of the authors. :-)  We can then 
submit
the errata to the RFC editor.  Not sure how long it takes for them to 
post
the errata.  In general, once we have consensus on the WG and it is is
in the archives, then it is a matter of process and that shouldn't hold
anyone's implementation plans, IMO.

Spencer