Subject: [nfsv4] NFS4ERR_EXIST vs NFS4ERR_ISDIR

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:43:40 -0500 (EST)

Just an historical note... The section on returning NFS4ERR_EXIST for
Rename for that case seems to be taken directly from RFC1813 for V3.

Does this imply that "real V3" servers return ISDIR and not EEXIST?

rick
ps: I don't have a problem with returning EISDIR, just would like to
    know if there was a reason V3 didn't allow it?

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Peter Staubach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:07:16 -0700

>     know if there was a reason V3 didn't allow it?

Actually, the NFSv3 protocol does not restrict which errors could be
returned from which operation.  There were lists associated with each
operation, but they were intended to be the more common errors.  There
is no reason that any specific error can not be returned, as long as it
is one of the valid errors for the protocol.

		ps