Subject: [nfsv4] RENAME and NFS4ERR_ISDIR

From: Carl Burnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:54:25 -0600

The RENAME operation does not list NFS4ERR_ISDIR as a valid error. 

POSIX states that if you try to rename a file to a directory (oldpath is 
file, newpath is a dir), EISDIR should be returned. Without allowing 
NFS4ERR_ISDIR as a valid return, the POSIX behavior cannot be achieved 
with NFSv4.

Currently, the spec seems to suggest that NFS4ERR_EXIST should be 
returned. -

        "If they are not  compatible or if the target is a directory but 
not empty, the server will return the error, NFS4ERR_EXIST."

We noticed in testing with the Solaris beta download, that the server 
looks to be returning NFS4ERR_ISDIR in this case, which per the spec would 
be non-compliant. But of course, it allows POSIX behavior.

What's the correct thing to do. I think NFS4ERR_ISDIR should be allowed 
for RENAME.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl Burnett
AIX Kernel Architecture - Network File System
(512) 838-8498, TL 678-8498
(please reply to [email-masked])

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4