Subject: [nfsv4] Revised nfsv4 Working Group Charter

From: Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:58:04 -0800 (PST)

Apologies for delay.  This is the revised charter for our
working group that we discussed at last meeting reflecting
our current work items and updated milestones.

It's been a while since we cleaned up the charter for the WG.

Yell with questions.

beepy

----------------------------------------------------------------

NFS Version 4 is the IETF standard for file sharing. To maintain NFS
Version 4's utility and currency, the working group is chartered to (1)
maintain the existing NFSv4 and related specifications, such as RPC and
XDR, (2) progress these specifications along the standards track, and
(3) design an NFSv4.1 minor-version extension that adds a select set of
features.

(1) NFS version 4 maintenance

Under this charter item, the WG correct errors and ambiguities in the
protocol currently specified in RFC 3530 and advances it along the
standards track. Extensions of any other kind are out of scope under
this charter item.

[NFSv4bis rfc3530 version 4]
[Mapping Between NFSv4 and Posix Draft ACLs -
draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-05.txt]

(2) NFS Version 4 Minor Version

NFS Version 4 contains within it the capability for minor versioning.
Under this charter item, the WG develops a minor-version extension to
NFSv4 that includes the following additions: 

-	improve correctness around non-idempotent operations
-	enable delegation reclaims
-	support clustered file server deployments as defined by Parallel
NFS (pNFS)

[NFSv4 Minor Version 1 - draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-08.txt]
[pNFS Block/Volume Layout - draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-block-01.txt]
[Object-based pNFS Operations - draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-obj-02.txt]

(3) RPC and XDR protocol maintenance

Finally, the NFSv4 protocol depends on two related specifications: ONC
RPC and XDR. Similar to charter item (1), the WG may correct errors and
ambiguities in the ONC RPC and XDR protocols currently specified by RFCs
1831, 1833 and 2203. In conjunction with the advancement of the NFSv4
specification along the standards track, the WG will also work on the
advancements of its ONC RPC and XDR dependencies. The WG will also
update the ONC RPC specification for compatibility with IPv6.
Additionally, it will create an IANA registry for RPC program numbers
and seed it with a registry Sun has been maintaining.

[Moving RPC protocol forward - draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis]

Milestones:

Feb 2007 WG Last Call for RPC and NFS RDMA drafts

Mar 2007 WG Last Call for rfc1831bis (RPC version 2)

Apr 2007 NFS Version 4.1 prototype, testing and interoperability report.

Jun 2007 WG Last Call for rfc3530bis (NFS version 4)

Jun 2007 WG Last Call for NFSv4 minor version 1

Jun 2007 WG Last Call for NFSv4.1 block/volume layout

Jun 2007 WG Last Call for NFSv4.1 Object-based layout

Sep 2007: Submit NFS Minor Version 1 to IESG for publication as a
Propoased Standard

Sep 2007: Submit pNFS Block/Volume Layout to IESG for publication as a
Propoased Standard

Sep 2007: Submit Object-based pNFS Operations to IESG for publication as
a Proposed Standard

POSTSCRIPT:

The following documents will be going through WG last call and
are rolling off the charter:

	draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfs-rdma-problem-statement (None)
	draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect (None)
	draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma (None)

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4