Subject: [nfsv4] layout return - final

From: Marc Eshel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:25:01 -0800

Hopefully the final correction to the logr_return_on_close result field in 

18.43.3 that should go into v4.1 errata.
Marc.

section 18.43.3 say:

The logr_return_on_close result field is a directive to return the layout 
before closing the file.  When the metadata server sets this  return value 

to TRUE, it MUST be prepared to recall the layout in the case in which the 

client fails to return the layout before close.  For the metadata server 
that knows a layout must be returned before a close of the file, this 
return value can be used to communicate the desired behavior to the client 

and thus remove one extra step from the client's and metadata server's 
interaction.

it should say:

The logr_return_on_close result field is a directive to return or forget 
the layout before closing the file . When the metadata server sets this 
return value to TRUE, the client MUST NOT use the layout after sending 
the last CLOSE of that file. Any outstanding COMMIT to the data servers
or LAYOUTCOMMIT to the metadata server MUST be sent prior to closing the
file. This return value is used to communicate to the client that any 
layout or segment of a layout that were given with logr_return_on_close 
set to TRUE will result in the server invalidating all layouts for the 
file after it was closed. Once the server returns TRUE to a client for a
given file it MUST return TRUE for all subsequent layouts or segments for
that file and client until that file is closed.

Notes:

This directive will remove one or more extra steps from the client's and 
metadata server's interaction.

---

From: Benny Halevy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:37:26 +0200

Marc,

Since the server may export the file system over multiple layout types
I suggest to restrict the requirements on the server to the layout_type
for which logr_return_on_close was returned.

See proposal in line below.

Benny

On 2012-02-25 00:25, Marc Eshel wrote:
> set to TRUE will result in the server invalidating all layouts

of layouttype4 of loga_layout_type

> for the file after it was closed. Once the server returns 

logr_return_on_close set to

> TRUE to a client for a
> given file it MUST return

s/return/set logr_return_on_close to/

> TRUE for all subsequent layouts or segments

of layoutype4 of the respective loga_layout_type

> for
> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4